Setting up Weight Based Shipping
OpenCart allows you to set up weight based shipping options. Remember, this will only work correctly if you have entered in a product weight. The Product weight can be found by opening the product in the OpenCart Dashboard and going to the “Data” tab.
Setting up the weight based shipping method is easily accomplished through your OpenCart Dashboard.
How to set up weight based shipping in OpenCart
- Log into your OpenCart Dashboard
- Go to Extensions > Shipping
- Find the “Weight Based Shipping” method and either click “Install” if its not yet been installed or “Edit” if it has
- Click “Edit” if you have not already done so
- On the General Tab, you will need fill in the options as needed:
- Tax Class: Choose the Tax Class that this shipping method applies to
- Status: Choose to enable the shipping method
- Sort Order: Set the numerical value of the sort order to be displayed
- The tabs listed under the General tab are all of your Geo Zones. Each Geo Zone will need to be configured to use the weight based shipping module. Let’s go through one Geo Zone and set it up. If you’re not familiar with Geo Zones please see our article.
Rates: This is weight:cost, weight:cost, weight:cost, etc. (so if you want to ship 5lbs of merchandise for $10 you’d enter in 5:10.00)
Status: Decide whether to enable this shipping method for this Geo Zone
- Once you are done setting up all your shipping rates for weights click “Save” in the upper right corner
Let’s look at an example:
- Cart weight 10lbs or less costs $5
- Cart weight 11-20lbs costs $15
- Cart weight 21-40lbs costs $25
- Cart weight more than 40lbs costs $35
You would use the following rates:
10:5.00, 20:15.00, 40:25.00, 999999:35.00
The last entry is extremely important since it sets an infinite weight ceiling. If you don’t have the 999999 rate, then any shipment over 40lbs would not be able to use weight based shipping and it would not show.
Since weight based shipping supports Geo Zones, each individual Geo Zone can have its own set of weights and costs as well as ranges.
If you need further assistance please feel free to ask a question in our support center.
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!
Shipping and Taxes in OpenCart
2014-05-14 11:58 am
Weight Based Shipping do not dispaly as a shipping option after I have upgraded opencart to Version 126.96.36.199
could you please asist.
2014-05-14 12:28 pm
In testing a fresh 188.8.131.52 Opencart installation, the Weight based shipping appears as an option when going to Extensions >> Shipping. If you are not seeing it, you may want to try a test of a fresh installation in another section of your hosting account. It should show up.
You may need to rollback your upgrade with the backup you made before performing the upgrade and try again. The weight based shipping is a standard part of the current core and should always be there.