How to View Module Positions in a Joomla 2.5 TemplateWritten by Brad Markle
Joomla 2.5 themes are used not only to define the style of a webpage, but also to define how the page is laid out. For example, it is because of how a specific template is setup that certain items show in the footer of a page, or in the left / right sidebars.
It also makes sense that modules are the only Joomla extensions that are assigned to module positions. For example, when you install a component or a plugin, they do not need to be assigned to a module position.
When working on your Joomla 2.5 site, there may be times when you need to move modules to different parts of the page. Each module is shown in a "place holder", and these place holders are referred to as positions. To move a module to a different position, you'll need to know where each position is set in the template. For example, the footer may have a position labeled as "position-14". You need to know this position name before you can move a module to it.
To view where module positions are configured within a template:
- Log into your Joomla Dashboard
- In the top menu, under Extensions click Template Manager
- In the top right, click the Options button
- Set Preview Module Positions to Enabled and then click Save & Close
- Click the Templates tab
- Next to the template you would like to view the structure of, click Preview
- A new window will open and it will outline the structure of the template. It may be hard to see, but you should see areas labeled similar to position-12 and position-7