How do I stop my emails from being labeled as spam?
Steps to take when your emails are ending up as spam
There are several things that may help, but bear mind these are suggestions and not a guarantee that your email will no longer be filtered as spam:
- Make sure that you are not in violation of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003. Verify that your emails make the grade and you're not falling into common filtering rules.
- Send your customers a personal email message requesting that they white-list your domain, so that your business emails don't get filtered into Spam. In this, I'm referring to a "personal" email as one that doesn't include your marketing links or business advertisements or enhancements that may flag the email as something other than a personal email.
- Check to make sure that your Email Authentication is enabled. This helps stop spam coming from your email address (even if you're not sending any that you know of). One of the common tactics by spammers out there is to spoof email coming from your domain. This causes you to get blacklisted even though you're not sending emails. Here's an article on these settings: Email Authentication - SPF and DomainKeys.
- If all else fails, you might want to consider a paid service or use a large specific email host for sending business emails- like Google mail. There are services for sending out emails for marketing such as MailChimp.com. Check them out as possible solutions since they can provide business email and newsletter services.
- Examine your email bounces. When an email bounces, it will tell you "why" it's being bounced and give you a source or reason for the bounce. If you're being listed on a service (that you may not be aware of), then you should investigate. In some cases, you can very easily remove yourself from a list simply contacting the authority who has blacklisted you. This may not always be the same person as the email administrator of that server. However, you can also send an email to an email administrator of the service to find out why your emails are being blocked. Though, I would only do this after examining the reason for the block and ,making sure that you have done your due diligence by reading their bounce messages and confirmed that you're not sending spam.
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!
2014-05-27 10:38 am
What happened to me is that people I send messages to all the time, are suddenly getting messages labeled JUNK. It is happening to a friend also.
Thanks for any help.
2014-05-27 10:58 am
Following the methods above will certainly help other servers from labeling you as junk or spam. Ultimately, however, it is up to the receiving server how it labels you. The best bet is to have the people whom you email all the time set you as 'not spam' on their side.