Subscribe IMAP Email folders in Mac Mail
IMAP folders may need to be manually assigned to a Mac Mail account in order to synchronize properly. The following article explains how to find and configure this setting within the Mac Mail client.
How to Add Folders to the Subscription List in Mac Mail
- Open your Mac Mail client.
- In the top left corner, click on MAIL in the menu bar, then select PREFERENCES.
- Click on the ADVANCED button at the right of the screen.
- Make sure that the first two items in the ADVANCED page are checked off.
- The first two boxes read:
-Enable this account
-Include whe automatically checking for new messages
- Close the Accounts window, then under the MAILBOXES column on the lefthand side Control-click (or right-click) onto the INBOX icon.
- Click on GET ACCOUNT INFO. You will see an ACCOUNT INFO window pop up like the one in the screenshot on right. Click on SUBSCRIPTION LIST. You will see the list of folders that are subscribed or not subscribed for synchronization with your IMAP account. You can select the folder and SUBSCRIBE or UNSUBSCRIBE with the buttons at the bottom left of the sceen.
- Close the ACCOUNT INFO window, then click on MAILBOX in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Click on Take All Accounts Offline. Wait for it to go off-line, then click on Take All Accounts Online to complete the changes.
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
2014-02-27 3:19 pm
Solution may work for iCloud and some other accounts, but not for standard IMAP servers, such as our CommuniGate Pro, which is quite standards-compliant. A gear spins for a moment, and then stops, with no subscription list shown. Pretty sure this is an Apple bug. Sigh. Still in search of a solution in 2014.
2014-02-27 3:48 pm
This article is focused toward subscribing to individual folders on our servers and may not necessarily apply to some other email services. While it may still be useful information for many other email service providers, the purpose of this article is to assist our customers, as well as customers of various other hosts whom are connecting to servers running cPanel.