303: Creating a Downloadable Product in OpenCart
At times, you may want to sell a digital product such as an image, audio file, or e-book. This can be easily accomplished in OpenCart. To offer a downloadable product, you'll first have to upload the file within OpenCart and then you'll need to link the file to a product.
Important! Remember to uncheck the "Requires Shipping" checkbox or your customers will be charged shipping fees by mistake.
Uploading Your Digital Product
- Log into your OpenCart Dashboard
- Go to Catalog > Downloads
- Click “Insert” in the upper right corner
- Fill in the fields with a download name, Select the file to upload on your local computer, and type in the number of downloads allowed per user purchase
- Click “Save”
Linking the download file to a product
- Log into your OpenCart Dashboard
- Go to Products
- Click “Insert” to create a new product or click “Edit” next to an existing product
- Click on the “links” tab
- Scroll towards the bottom of the page, go to the “Downloads” section and select the file you want to be made available on this product
- While still editing this product, click on the “Data” tab and scroll down to the section called “Weight”. Enter a weight of “0” (zero) in the field. This tells OpenCart it is a downloadable product
- Click on “Save” in the upper right corner
If you want to offer your customers a trial of your software, there are a few different routes you can take.
As OpenCart cannot simply modify your downloadable products to offer some sort of trial, you will need to have one of the following to offer as the trial:
- Two versions of your software; One that is fully unlocked that you will sell and one that only works as a trial
- Offer a single product for download and sell the license key either within the software, or through another product on your site
Adding the trial product
If you are offering the trial product as a secondary item in your store, you can simply add it just as you would any other downloadable product, and sent the price to be free.
You could also place some sort of additional download link to the product within your main product page which would allow you to have a single page for both the trial product as well as the paid product.
If you need further assistance please feel free to ask a question in our support center website.
‹Section 31: 304: Adding a store credit to a customer's account in OpenCart
›Section 33: 302: Dealing with Returned Orders in OpenCart
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!
2013-02-17 3:28 pm
Hi Tim, Good tutorial but you need to comment that when creating a download only product you need to remember to uncheck the "requires shipping" checkbox.
I forgot and people were being charged for shipping at checkout - lost me a few sales...
2013-02-18 1:35 pm
Thank you for the information on that TimP. I added a heading so users will be warned of this.
2013-04-06 6:18 pm
Hello, thanks for your tutorials but this is doesn't work for CD and digital download which mean unique download for each order from the same product, as currently when you make a downloadable product all customer order it can see it in there account and if you put multiple CD key they will receive all of them.
I appreciate if you support me in editing the php file or do it by VQmod.
2013-04-08 11:49 am
Thank you for your comment elprince !
Sorry for the CD and Digital downloads are not working for you. You can edit the php.ini in your public_html to change any settings. Please see the following link on this.
How to update your local php settings
You will need to make the php.ini recursive as well. Please see the following.
How can I make my php.ini file recursive ?
If you need assistance doing this, please contact tech support. This is a public forum and you cannot put your personal information in here. Tech support will be able to help you with this.
2013-04-13 10:22 am
Hey. After I select the links tab and scroll down to the download field, there is only a blank field with no selection possible. The requires shipping field is also turned to "No". Any help here is much appreciated!
2014-08-29 1:59 am
In Products>Links>Downloads, how many download can I add to it?
If I add eight downloads pdfs and mp3 for one product will a customer be able to download all 8 that I attached in that download field.
2014-08-29 10:50 am
I am not aware of the max download limit, however I have seen as many as 12. If you need more, you can always add some as a zip file.
2014-08-29 11:26 am
Wow Thanks Scott M for a quick response.
The information you gave really helps.