Resolving server usage problems
When your server is running slow or crashing this can be a very frustrating experience and we'd like to help. There are multiple factors that can lead to your server's usage being higher than it should be.
In this section we'll cover diagnostic and troubleshooting tactics that you can use to extract information from your server's running processes and logs to help better understand what is causing your server usage problems.
Best practices for info gathering
These articles will guide you on ensuring that website access logging is enabled to actually catch things, and also how to setup scripts that alert you via email when there are problems.
Using logs to locate problems
This collection of articles walks you through using log files on your server to help track down and see where server issues are coming from.
Server tools to help with usage
Exim mail service usage
These articles cover the Exim mail service which is the MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) that handles mail deliveries on your server, and can be a common cause of server usage spikes.
- Find email delivery failures in Exim
- Find the number of times SpamAssassin has to run
- Find the number of times BoxTrapper has to run
- 535 incorrect authentication
- Find email forwarders or autoresponders
- Process a backed up Exim mail queue
- Locate email accounts being used to spam
- View a summary of the Exim mail queue
- View full summary of mail activity from the Exim mail log
- Find spam script location with Exim
- Locate spam activity by subject with Exim
Stopping malicious activity
All of these articles help explain how you can stop potential or currently happening malicious activity, which can easily lead to server usage issues.
Common server usage problems
Finally this group of articles serves as an informational collection of common things that can cause server usage problems.