How to Transfer your Domain Name to InMotion Hosting
For the hearing impaired, please click here to view the transcription of the above video.
What does it mean to transfer your domain?
When we talk about transferring a domain, we are referring to changing the company that you pay yearly for the domain's registration. Domain transfers do not affect your website in any way, they affect who your domain is registered through. If you want to have all your domains and hosting in one place so you can pay for them and manage them all in one place, you will want to transfer your domain. More information about this can be found in our article, the difference between transferring a domain name and changing the nameservers.
If you're looking for information on how to transfer your website to InMotion Hosting, please see our New Customer Website Getting Started Guide.
Important Details to Understand Before Transferring Your Domain:
- Get the Authorization code (sometimes called AUTH, or EPP code) from your registrar.
- Remove Domain Privacy if you have it on your domain.
- If you plan to change your nameservers, please do so either before or after requesting a domain transfer, not during the transfer process. It is not recommended to update your nameservers during the transfer process (which can take up to 10 days to complete).
- Make sure the domain is unlocked with the old registrar prior to making the request. "Unlocking" a domain name is the removing of the lock on your domain name that prevents transfers, and must be done with your current registrar.
- Make sure you have access to the administrative email address listed in the whois for your domain prior to making the request. You will be sent an email to this email address, and failure to receive this email will result in a failed domain transfer. Please contact your current registrar to manage your whois details.
- While we can host any domain, we can only transfer .com .net .org .biz .info and .us domains.
- If the domain you would like to transfer was just registered, please be aware that you will need to wait at minimum 60 days since the initial registration before you can change registrars.
- If your domain name is set to expire within 14 days, you will need to first renew the domain with its current registrar. This is to help prevent a loss of your domain name in the event the transfer request fails the first time.
Steps for Transferring your Domain Name:
- Login to AMP.
- Click on Domain Transfers under "Additional Services" on the left menu
- Next type in the domain that you want to transfer and click Submit
NOTE! If you get an error stating, "Domain is expired and must be renewed with the current registrar before transferring" Then you will need to contact tech support to have the domain manually transferred via email request. This is an error with the WHOIS lookup in AMP.
- The next screen will tell you if your domain is locked. The domain transfer will not initiate if the domain shows as locked. Make sure that you have access to the admin email and select "Yes" from the menu. Enter the Authorization Code for the domain and click Save
- You will then be on the Billing Information screen. Domain transfers cost $11.99, if you have a transfer credit available, it will be listed. Confirm the account information is correct and click Submit
- In 5-10 minutes, you will receive a confirmation email, click the link to confirm your transfer:
- You will be redirected to the Accept Transfer page. Fill in your name, agree with the terms of service, and click the Proceed with this Transfer button. You will then see a message stating "Thank you for confirming your request to transfer your Domain Name to Melbourne IT."
The transfer process has now begun. Remember that domain transfers can take up to 10 days. You will be notified via email when the domain transfer process completes.
Hosting Unlimited Domains
Did you know that with a dedicated server, you can host unlimited domains? With a dedicated server, you get all the features you need to manage your websites. But you also get the support you need when you need it. You can learn more here.
Thank you for your feedback!