How to Create a CNAME Record
In this tutorial:
In this tutorial, we will show you how to create a CNAME record. CNAME records are a type of DNS record you can use to point a hostname elsewhere. While they aren't needed by most users, there are situations where you will want to create a CNAME record for your domain. Such as when you point a subdomain to WordPress.org. We will show you how to create the CNAME recod in cPanel as well as WHM.
Adding a CNAME Record in cPanel
- Log into cPanel.
- Click the Advanced Zone Editor button in the Domains section.
- Click the drop-down menu, and choose the domain you want to edit the DNS for.
- Click the drop-down menu under Type, and choose CNAME.
- You will then see Name, TTL, and CNAME options. Below is an example of the options:
Option Description Type CNAME Name test.example.com. TTL The default setting is 14400, or 4 hours. CNAME testexample.wordpress.com
Adding a CNAME Record in WHM
- Login to WHM.
- Click the Edit DNS Zone link in the DNS Functions section.
- Click the domain you want to create the CNAME for, then click the Edit button.
- Scroll to the bottom and you will see an Add New Entries Below this Line section. Click the Select drop-down menu, then click CNAME.
- In the first field enter your CNAME entry. In my example, I am entering: test
- Enter your Hostname in the available field, then click the Save button. In my example, I am entering example.com. (14400 will automatically be filled in the TTL section).
Congratulations, now you know how to create CNAME records in cPanel, and WHM.