Installing a Third Party SSL
You can purchase a dedicated SSL for your website either through InMotion Hosting or from a third party SSL vendor. This article focuses on the steps to take when ordering an SSL from a third party. If you would like to order an SSL through InMotion Hosting, please see our article on ordering an SSL certificate.
Request a CSR for a Third Party SSL
In order to properly key your website's SSL, your third party vendor will need a CSR (Certificate Signing Request). This CSR needs to be generated for your website by us, and our Support Team will be happy to assist you with the creation of your CSR. To request your CSR, please follow the steps below:
- Log into AMP.
- Under Additional Services click Other.
- Choose the plan you wish to request a CSR for (if more than one is shown).
- Click Add Simple CSR Request.
- On the next page enter your desired certificate name. The most common certificate names are secure. or www. followed by the domain name. For example, if I was ordering a CSR for inmotionhosting.com, and I wanted the host name to be www, I would enter www.inmotionhosting.com.
- Click Next.
- In this next screen enter in the information you want associated with the SSL you are ordering from your third party vendor. This information should match the SSL information you will give the SSL vendor.
- Click Next.
- On the final page, review and confirm that you agree to the Terms of Service and click Submit.
Installation of your Third Party SSL
Once your CSR request is submitted, our Support Team will respond via email with your CSR. You will then provide the CSR to your SSL vendor so they can properly key your SSL. When you receive the SSL from your vendor, please respond to our email and attach your SSL. Our Support Team will then install your third party SSL.
SSL certificates require a dedicated IP address at a cost of $2.00 per month, billed yearly for $24.00. With all SSL certificates (ordered through us or through a third party vendor) there is a one-time $25 installation fee.
Wildcard SSL Installations
You can have Wildcard SSL certificates installed on VPS or Dedicated servers. We do not sell Wildcard SSL certificates, so you will need to contact a 3rd party SSL provider to obtain one. Also, Wildcard SSL certificates cannot be installed on shared hosting plans.
Important! In order to install a Wilcard certificates on VPS and Dedicated server, that each site needs to be on a separate cpanel account in order for us to install the certificate on your server.
To have a Wildcard SSL installed, you will need a CSR generated for each domain on your server that will use the Wildcard SSL. You then take the CSR and key the Wildcard certificate for each domain. You then email the CRT to support for installation. We install the same certificate to each cPanel account you created for each domain that will use the SSL.