How to Create a Horizontal Menu in Joomla 3.0Written by Brad Markle
By default, menus in Joomla 3.0 will be displayed vertically. Many users would like to instead create horizontal menus, such as a menu that appears at the top of your website. In this tutorial, we'll walk you through the steps for creating a horizontal menu in Joomla 3.0.
Creating a horizontal menu in Joomla 3.0 is not as difficult as creating a horizontal menu in Joomla 2.5. This is mostly due to the addition of bootstrap in Joomla 3.0. In this article we'll show you how to use bootstrap's nav-pills CSS class to make a hoizontal menu.
Creating a Horizontal Menu in Joomla 3.0:
In this tutorial, we'll assume that you've already created a menu in Joomla 3.0 and assigned it to a position. The following steps walk you through updating an existing menu so that it displays horizontally.
- Log into your Joomla 3.0 administrative dashboard
- In the top menu, click Extensions and then click Module Manager
- In the list of modules, click on the module for the menu you would like to modify. Make sure it's Type is menu.
- Within the set of tabs toward the top of the page, click the Options tab, then click the Advanced Options link, to access the settings.
- Find the following setting:
Menu Class Suffix
A suffix to be applied to the CSS class of the menu items
For this setting, enter nav-pills and then click the Save button in the top left of the page.
Important! If you are using Joomla 3.02 and 3.03 or cannot get the nav-pills to work, you may need to add a SPACE before nav-pills entry.
You can see in the screenshots below how setting nav-pills as the Menu Class Suffix sets a menu to be horizontal.
Menu Class Suffix: (empty) Menu Class Suffix: nav-pills
Working with Menus in Joomla 3.0
|1.||How to Create a Menu and Menu Module in Joomla 3.0|
|2.||Adding a Menu Item to a Menu in Joomla 3.0|
|3.||How to Create a Horizontal Menu in Joomla 3.0|