Publishing with Microsoft Expressions Web 4
Microsoft Expressions Web 4 is a program that can help you build a website. You must have Expressions Web 4 installed on your local computer to use it. If you are unfamiliar with Expressions Web 4 please see the Microsoft website for details.
- Open Expressions Web 4 on your local Computer
- If you have not already created a site in Expressions go to Site -> New
- Find the folder on your local computer where you were storing the website you built in Expressions and click “Ok” once you have selected it using “Browse”
- Now, the site loads, so you can see it. You need to configure the publishing settings at this point
- Go to Site -> Publishing Settings
- Go to the Publishing Tab and click “Add…”
- Fill in the fields:
- Name: provide a site name you will recognize
- Connection Type: select “FTP”
- Location: ftp://yourdomain.com – Replace yourdomain.com with your actual domain
- Directory: If you are publishing to the public_html folder type in “/public_html”
- Username: type in your cPanel username
- Password: type in your cPanel password
- Click “Save”
- Now, click on “Connect to the current publishing destination”
- You are connected to your account via FTP, you need to tell Expressions which files to upload. Select all the files and folders you want to upload in the Left Side Pane. Next, click on the blue arrow. The files will then publish to your account. In the right pane, you can now see the files and folders you just uploaded
Make sure the “Use Passive FTP” is unchecked
You’ve now published your website using Microsoft Expressions Web 4.
If you need further assistance please feel free to ask a question on our support center.
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!
2014-04-25 2:31 pm
Thanks for the help in converting from Front Page to Microsoft Expression Web 4.
2015-02-23 12:28 pm
I got an error when trying to publish from Microsoft Expression Web 4. Unable to build data connection cannot assign requested address (425). Any suggestions?
2015-02-23 1:20 pm
Are you using the FTP publishing option as noted in the tutorial above? If you're using FTP, we would need to know what settings you're using in order to determine what's happening. Please provide that information and we can troubleshoot the issue for you.
2015-02-24 9:44 am
I created my Inmotion-hosted webpage using Frontpage 2003 and I am trying to edit it but I get an error message that the folder isn't accessible. Your help is appreciated.
2015-02-24 10:00 am
Thank you for your question. Since Front Page extensions are no longer supported by Microsoft, you will have to publish FrontPage using FTP.
This should allow you to successfully connect to the server using Frontpage.
2015-02-24 10:18 am
Yes, that is the program that Microsoft used to replace FrontPage. I am not sure how similar the usability and interface is, however.