How to Move Your Databases to Your Reseller Account
If you are a reseller migrating to InMotion Hosting from a non-cPanel platform or decide to move your databases manually, then you will need to know how to perform this properly. This article will go over the specific steps to successfully transfer your database to your InMotion Hosting reseller account.
Exporting Your Database From the Old Host
While this article will assume the use of the PhpMyAdmin database management tool, your old host may have a similar but different tool. The concept is the same, though the specific steps may vary.
- Log into your hosting account dashboard.
- Locate the "Databases" category and then click on the phpMyAdmin tool.
- From the left hand sidebar, click on the database you want to work with.
- In the right hand panel, locate and click on the Export tab.
- Select the Quick method and set the Format to SQL. Once done, click on the Go button.
- A popup will appear. Click on the Save File and then OK to save it down to your local computer.
Create Your Database on Your Inmotion Hosting Server
After exporting your database from your old server and saving it to your local computer, you need to ensure your InMotion server is ready for the import. The first step is to create an empty database on your account. To do so, perform the following steps.
- Log into your cPanel dashboard.
- Locate the Databases category and click on the MySQL Databases icon.
- Under the Create New Database field, give the database a name.
- Click the Create Database button. Click Go Back from the confirmation screen.
- Now locate the Add New User section and create a new Username for the database.
- Give the user a strong password and be sure to remember it or write it down.
- Click Create User and then click Go Back from the confirmation page.
- Lastly, you need to connect the user to the database that the Add User To Database section. Simply use the dropdowns to select the user and database.
- After you have selected the username and database, click on the Add button.
- Now, you need to assign user privileges to the database. The most common is to select the All Privileges setting.
- Once assigned, click on the Make Changes button.
- Click on the Go Back link.
Import the Database File
Now that you have the new server set up with the database and user, all that is left is to import the file you earlier downloaded from your old host.
- Log into your Reseller Hosting cPanel dashboard.
- Click on the PhpMyAdmin icon located in the Databases category.
- Select your new empty database in the left hand side panel.
- Once the right panel refreshes, click on the Import tab.
- Under the File to Import section, click on the Browse tab. This allows you to locate the file on your local computer.
- After you find the database file, click on it and then click on the Open button. This begins the upload.
- You should now see the file name next to the Browse button. Ensure the Format is set to "SQL" and then click on the Go button at the bottom of the page.
- Once completed, you will see a success screen.
At this point, your database has been moved from your old server, and imported into your new InMotion Reseller hosting account. You may need to repeat this for other databases on your account or for any of your customer's cPanel accounts.