If you have a WordPress website, do you need to get special WordPress hosting? Not necessarily. In theory, any hosting service will offer the tools needed to run your site.
But choosing the best hosting plan for your website can help ensure that it works well, stays secure, and offers the best user experience possible – and WordPress hosting offers many features and functions specially designed to make your website run at peak performance, while other services typically do not.
Here’s everything you need to know about web hosting and WordPress hosting, and why we think you need the latter:
What’s the Difference Between WordPress Hosting and Web Hosting?
- General web hosting: General web hosting is typically a shared hosting service, in which multiple sites share space on a single physical server. In this type of environment, there are potentially thousands of different websites, all of them operating on different platforms. While general hosting services do offer WordPress site-builders and applications, they also offer a variety of other site builders and must provide service for issues related to all of them. Bottom line: the service and support provided with general hosting services are not designed to accommodate WordPress-specific issues.
- WordPress hosting: Like general web hosting services, WordPress hosting often happens in a shared server environment, and plans are offered at a variety of levels and prices. The difference, however, is that your website will share a server exclusively with other WordPress installs. Service and support are tailored to the specific features of WordPress, and solutions are designed to maximize WordPress performance.
Advantages of WordPress Hosting
WordPress hosting services obviously offer specialized service and support for WordPress websites, but what specifically can you expect? These are just a few of the features:
- Web technologies can be pre-configured for quick setup within your website
- Staging sites can be quickly and easily transferred
- All accounts on the server can receive the same custom maintenance
- Servers can be set up to protect against WordPress-specific threats
- Bulk upgrades and security patches can be applied to all websites on the server at once
- Customer service reps are trained to offer software support – meaning if you have a question about why your plugin isn’t working or your text isn’t displaying correctly, they can more than likely help solve any issues
- Most WordPress hosting plans come with easy-to-use website builders and include themes, plugins or even SSL certificates.
What Should You Look For in a Web Hosting Service?
Whether you go with a WordPress hosting service or a general web host, there are certain features that you just can’t skimp on. These are the absolute must-haves you should get from ANY hosting service:
- Guaranteed uptime: Nothing is more important than knowing that your website is always going to be up and running. When it comes to business, any downtime could mean money lost! Look for a hosting company that offers uptimes of 99.95% or more (anything below 99% is unacceptable).
- Scalability: As your business grows, so will your website. Choose a hosting company that can grow with you and provides extra space as your needs change.
- Security: If you store confidential client information on your website – such as address, phone number, or credit card details – it’s vital to keep that data safe and protected. Look for a web host that provides basic security measures like a firewall and malware and spam protection.
- Great customer support: Look for a hosting company that offers multiple support options, such as telephone support or live chat, so you can communicate via your preferred method 24/7.
Should You Choose WordPress Hosting or Web Hosting?
If you own a WordPress website, signing up for a WordPress hosting plan should be a no-brainer. Most general hosting providers don’t offer the service and support to keep your website running at an optimal level.
At InMotion Hosting, we have a strong reputation for managed WordPress hosting. To find out how you can take advantage of our free website migration, or easily get started on a new website with WordPress pre-installed, reach out to our support team today.