Because so many people are under the misconception that it is difficult to make a website, we are here to dispel that myth and show you websites made easy.
Think of this as just a multi-step process that cannot begin until you take that first step. And it is just a step, not a plunge.
Making the Process Simple
Once you have begun to create your own website, be it for business or personal interest, you will see that there wasn’t much to worry about from the beginning.
Here’s the step-by-step process that we recommend you follow.
- Choose a CMS—Picking a Content Management System should be your first step in the process. A CMS is the platform (think software) that you will use to create your website. There are dozens on the market right now, but we are going to center on one in particular—WordPress. We choose this one for good reason. WordPress is the platform used by over two-thirds of the websites on the Internet. All of the other platforms combined don’t equal up to their market share. And this dominance is because of its ease of use, flexibility, and features. You can choose any CMS out there, but WordPress is really going to be your best bet for websites made easy.
- Choose a Host—Next, you are going to need to find a hosting service to house your website. This is the company that will place your site and its data on its servers so that people can find you on the Internet. Hosting services vary greatly and you need to be cautious about cheap (or free) offers because you ultimately get what you pay for. You want a hosting service that can provide you with 24/7 support and high up-time percentages. You also need to choose a plan with this provider. Consider all of your options—shared hosting, VPS, cloud hosting, and a dedicated server. (This will largely be dictated by your needs and your budget.) You should also talk to your host about assisting you with registering your domain name. This will be the address that is typed in to direct a computer to your site. Make sure that your address (and name) is something memorable so that customers will be able to find you easily.
- Install WordPress and Start Building—Once you have done all of this, it’s time to install WordPress (or whichever CMS you ultimately chose to go with). Once you have this set up on your computer, you can start building your site. This will take just a few steps but you generally should:
- Pick a theme—This is the overall design for your website. You can choose from dozens of different theme templates that will give you a good start with having a shell to build on.
- Build the page—If you get a drag-and-drop style page editor, then you can just drag boxes and elements onto your template and build it like that. Otherwise, you will need to go through and code each portion of the website that you will need.
- Add plugins—These are offered as added features for your website. Some will help collect data for research and marketing such as SEO plugins. Others will just give your websites some “flashy bells and whistles” such as sound or animation. Be careful with adding too many of these, though as they may slow down your website.
- Go live—Once you have done all of this and you’ve edited your site so that it looks exactly as you want it, then it’s time to push out your site and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Create Your Website Today
If you are looking for a system that lives up to the websites made easy moniker, then you have a lot to choose from. One of these, InMotion Hosting’s Website Creator, helps to streamline multiple processes so that you can get your site up and running in no time with little worries about down-time or other hassles.