Choosing the right dedicated server hosting plan for your business can be a daunting prospect – If you choose the wrong plan, you may end up with poor website performance or unneeded features that can affect your overall success.
Often, though, website owners choose a hosting plan based on price alone, without considering any of the other benefits. While budget is a large concern, it shouldn’t be your only concern.
That being said, when you’re spending top dollar on a premium hosting service, you do need to be sure that they can guarantee the best performance possible.
Here’s how to make sure you get the most bang for your buck:
What is a dedicated server?
First thing’s first: are you sure you even need a dedicated server? A dedicated server comes with a lot of power – and while all of that RAM and bandwidth might seem attractive, it’s not necessary for most small businesses.
A dedicated server means that an entire physical server is dedicated just to your website. It comes with a lot more storage, power, and customization capability than you would get with any other kind of server. In addition, some hosting providers will also include features like SSL certificates, control panels, OS installation, and security software.
You may need a dedicated server if you have a high-traffic website and meet any of the following criteria:
- Your website has been loading too slowly
- You’re running out of storage space
- You store credit card numbers or other personal client information on your website and you’re worried about hackers
If any of the above apply to you, then keep reading!
What features should you look for in a dedicated server?
Knowing that you need a dedicated server is one thing. Signing up for the right plan is quite another. Before you choose a hosting provider, make sure they offer the following:
- Guaranteed uptime: Imagine if a visitor arrived on your website only to find that it wouldn’t load. Depending on your business, that could mean a lot of money lost. Most hosting companies today offer an uptime of at least 99.5% – but for a dedicated server, that number should be even higher.
- Customization: One of the best parts of having dedicated server hosting is the ability to customize the server in virtually any way you want. Find out if your provider will let you choose an operating system, allocate space as you wish, or add custom software and apps. Sometimes, hosting services will sell “private” servers that are actually still shared with other people – not being able to customize is a big red flag that this is the case.
- Security: As a whole, dedicated servers are inherently more secure than both shared servers and VPS – but that doesn’t mean that they’re not vulnerable to hackers. Make sure your hosting service will provide security software including firewall configurations, malware protection, and more.
- Live customer support: When you’re paying top dollar for a premium service, you should also receive premium customer support. That means being able to call ANY time you have a problem and being able to speak to a live human being. Look for a hosting provider that guarantees 24/7 support, 365 days a year.
How much does a dedicated server hosting plan cost?
Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all answer here. How much a plan costs can vary greatly depending on both the provider and the specifications you require. In general, though, you can expect to pay $100+ per month for a dedicated server.
Generally, the lower the prices, the fewer resources you will have at your disposal. As the cost of the plan goes up, so does available RAM and bandwidth.
The best dedicated server is one that starts with room for your current website and is able to grow with you. Look for a company that offers reasonable rates on a variety of plans.
InMotion Hosting Dedicated Servers
InMotion Hosting offers a variety of dedicated server hosting plans, so there is sure to be one to fit your needs. Our plans start at 8GB and each one includes live, 24/7 support. Call us today to find out which plan best meets your needs.