People do everything online these days, from banking to shopping to setting appointments. Your wedding guests are no different. Building a wedding website will give them a centralized hub to keep up with all of your big day news (plus, it’s a great way for guests to network with each other before the event).
But it doesn’t have to be all business – your wedding is one of the most important days of your life, and your website should reflect the love and joy that you feel. Below are our tips for creating an informative website that will get your guests excited for your upcoming nuptials:
What is a Wedding Website?
A wedding website is only the best possible platform for bringing your guests together prior to the big day! It provides all of the useful information anyone might need surrounding your wedding, and usually some fun stuff, too (like how you met, or where you’re going for your honeymoon). People choose to use them for many reasons, but these are some of the most common:
- It’s free. You can download WordPress.org and create your own website for free, and you only have to pay for your domain name and hosting service.
- Endless customization. With WordPress themes and plugins, you can customize your site in virtually any way imaginable. Personalize your pages with your wedding color scheme, romantic photo galleries, or a custom timeline for your special day.
- Easily keep your guests updated. A bridge is out by your venue? No problem. You can let guests know that they’ll need to take an alternate route. More rooms just got added to your block? Share a message and let your friends know they should book right away!
No matter what happens, your website will allow you to quickly and easily spread the word, without having to send out messages to dozens of people.
Your wedding website should be highly personal and a reflection of the relationship you share with your future spouse. That being said, there are a few general rules that everyone should follow, no matter what:
Stick with Your Theme
WordPress has custom themes for nearly every situation, including weddings. And no matter what type of wedding you’re having, you’ll be able to find something that reflects the vibe of your big day – whether you’re getting married in a barn or a high-rise hotel.
Include Travel Information
Whether your venue is local or you’re having a destination wedding, there are guaranteed to be out-of-town guests. Create a page where you can share information on travel and accommodations, including:
- Information about the nearest airport and train station
- Several suggested driving routes (“If you’re heading in from the North…,” “If you’re coming from the West…,” etc.)
- Websites, phone numbers and booking codes for any local hotels where you have a room block
- Hotel shuttle information
You can also use a plugin like Google Maps so guests can easily see where your venue is and access directions on their own.
Recommend Local Activities
If you have a break between the wedding and reception, or if out-of-town guests will be sticking around for a few days, they’re going to need things to do. Create a guide to the local area with your favorite places to eat and things to see. If a spot has special meaning to you, let your guests know (and include photos of you there if you have them). Consider including:
- Good for kids (museums, family-friendly restaurants, parks, etc.)
- No-reservation-required restaurants
- Reservation/upscale dining
Create a Guestbook
Many people who attend your wedding would probably like to share their best wishes or thank you for including them in your day, and a guestbook is the perfect way to do that.
The DMSGuestbook plugin is a great option that includes a lot of useful features. Not only can you customize the look to your liking (including language, mandatory fields, text, and border colors), but you can also go in and search the guestbook based on email, name, messages, and so on.
Using WordPress and WordPress plugins makes creating a unique, custom wedding website a piece of (wedding) cake. Not sure where to start? Reach out to our design team today and have a beautiful site up and running within days.