Your website is growing, traffic is increasing daily, you’re thinking about getting a new hosting plan, but what about a domain name transfer? Often overlooked in general website upkeep, who you host your domain with is a vital part of the security of your website. We’re going to go over some reasons why a domain transfer should be your next move.
When starting off, you bought your name from a Registrar. A Registrar is a company that allows you to register a domain name so that it is unique only to you and your website.
Why do you Need to Transfer?
All legitimate registrars are accredited by ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers), so before you even think about transferring, make sure the new domain host is accredited.
But let’s get down to the important part, why should you transfer your domain? We have five reasons why a domain transfer is beneficial to you and your website.
- Security. One of the primary focus points of your website is security. You’re not going to be happy if customers start complaining that they can’t access your site or it is being directed to a different site. This may be the result of a domain name hacker. This type of hacker is holding your domain name ransom, usually for money. In order to combat this, make sure your new Registrar offers a domain name lock. This keeps the domain from being changed until you change it. Also, ensure that your new host will notify you of any changes to the domain, whether completed by you or otherwise.
- Customer Service. If your website is growing, you will need access to support in many areas and your domain host is no exception. In addition to support during the domain name transfer, make sure your new domain host offers support after the fact. Some hosts don’t have a support team but just have a sales team that tries to get you to buy additional add-ons.
- User Experience. How easy is it to access your domain name settings? If you get frustrated when trying to do a small task or change, imagine trying to do a big one. Making sure that any needed changes with your domain are easy to do. This not only saves you time and stress, but it will also benefit the visitors.
- Privacy. This differs from security, as it pertains solely to you and your domain name. While all Registrars will say that your privacy is of utmost importance, this may not always be the case. Now, to be clear, finding out the full scope on a registrar’s view of privacy may be a difficult task. Some don’t address all situations in their privacy agreement, so it is best to do as much research as possible. This includes searching their website, doing a Google search for privacy-related matters, and customer reviews. Customer reviews, although sometimes extreme, can really help out in these cases. If there is a common theme in the reviews, chances are it’s true.
- Cost. Paying too much is never a good thing, and paying too much for a company that does too little is even worse. Not all Registrars are created equal, and neither is their pricing. When researching a new domain name host, you want to take into account all of the above and determine if that service is worth the cost. This will help you stay in your budget and get the best bang for your buck.
When looking for a new domain name host, use the five reasons above as your checklist. This will help you determine if a domain name host is right for you.
Your Domain Name Transfer
InMotion Hosting not only hosts domains but has a great tool to ensure that, if needed, a domain name transfer is both easy and stress-free. Click here to find out more information about transferring your domain name.
If you are in need of a website, we have you covered as well. InMotion has a fantastic Website Creator that allows you to get a professional website, without having to shell out thousands of dollars.