What Records are Needed for Third Party DNS Server?

2012-04-04 10:07 pm EST

Hits: 945
I use another service for DNS configuration for many websites. I would like to continue to do so, but host web and mail for some domains at inmotion.

What records are required to work with inmotion?

For the web I would expect to be able to CNAME www to my inmotion server name.

What about e-mail, the MX and SPF records?

You must login before you can ask a follow up question.

You must login before you can submit an answer.

Best answer chosen by User


Tim S.
9,967 Points
2012-04-05 8:55 am EST
Hi JeffBane,

Thanks for posting your question. I'm more than happy to assist you today. You'll need to create the following records for email and web hosting to work with your thrid party DNS service.

You'll need an A record for point the domain to InMotion, the A record tells DNS which web server the website resides on.

Then you'll need to create a CNAME record to point the WWW version to the same server.

You'll create a MX record to point mail to the server. Also if you're going to use mail.yourdomain.com you'll want to set up a CNAME record for that.

As for the SPF records, you can visit this link here to show you the syntax of how to create the SPF record:

SPF Record Syntax

I hope this helps! If you need further assistance please feel free to contact us.


Tim S

You must login before you can post a comment about this answer.

Like this Question?

Support Center Login

Social Media Login

Related Articles

It looks like there are no related articles.
Would you like to ask a question about this page? If so, click the button below!
Ask a Question

Need more Help?


Ask the Community!

Get help with your questions from our community of like-minded hosting users and InMotion Hosting Staff.

Current Customers

Chat: Click to Chat Now E-mail: support@InMotionHosting.com
Call: 888-321-HOST (4678) Ticket: Submit a Support Ticket

Not a Customer?

Get web hosting from a company that is here to help. Sign up today!