What Records are Needed for Third Party DNS Server?

  • Answered
I use another service for DNS configuration for many websites. I would like to continue to do so, but host web and mail for some domains at inmotion.

What records are required to work with inmotion?

For the web I would expect to be able to CNAME www to my inmotion server name.

What about e-mail, the MX and SPF records?

Tim S.
Hi JeffBane, Thanks for posting your question. I'm more than happy to assist you today. You'll need to create the following records for email and web hosting to work with your thrid party DNS service. You'll need an A record for point the domain to InMotion, the A record tells DNS which web server the website resides on. Then you'll need to create a CNAME record to point the WWW version to the same server. You'll create a MX record to point mail to the server. Also if you're going to use mail.yourdomain.com you'll want to set up a CNAME record for that. As for the SPF records, you can visit this link here to show you the syntax of how to create the SPF record: SPF Record Syntax I hope this helps! If you need further assistance please feel free to contact us. Thanks! Tim S