The easiest way to install WordPress is to use Softaculous. Softaculous is an installation application that is free with select InMotion Hosting subscriptions. You can also manually install WordPress using the steps below.
If you have a Reseller, VPS or Dedicated server account, then you may need to purchase Softaculous. Check out How to Purchase a Softaculous License in AMP for more details.
The installation process includes downloading the WordPress files, creating a database, and configuring the installation. In this tutorial, we’ll walk you through each of these steps.
Uploading the WordPress files
- First, you’ll have to download the latest version of WordPress
- Extract the files in the ZIP file you downloaded to your local computer
- Use an FTP Program to upload the files to your account. If this is your primary domain, you’ll want to upload the files to the public_html folder. Be sure to upload the contents of the WordPress folder and NOT the folder itself
Creating a Database for WordPress
- Log into cPanel
- Click on the Database Wizard
- Type in the database name and click “next step“
- Fill in the database user, password, and password (again)
- Click create user
- Check the box “ALL PRIVILEGES” and click “Next Step“
- Write down the Database name, Database User, and Database password
Finishing WordPress Installation
- Go to example.com (replacing example.com with your actual domain)
- If the installation has not completed then you should see a screen listing the languages. Select the language you wish to use and then click on Continue to proceed to the next screen.
- Fill in the Database Name, User Name, and Password that you wrote down from above
- Click “Submit“
- Fill in the Site Title, Username, Password, twice, and your email
- Click “Install WordPress“
NOTE: As per the screen shot above, the Database Host is set to “localhost” by default. If this is not set as the database host, then type it in as you see it in the screen shot. The database host name will only be different if you are connecting to a database that is not on the hosting server. By default all InMotion Hosting databases will be coming from the local server.
Now, when you visit your website, you’ll see the default installation of WordPress:
If you need further assistance please feel free ask a question on the support center.