Hiding your WordPress login URL is an excellent way to vastly increase security of your site, especially from brute force attacks. In this article, we will show you how to effectively and easily change your WordPress admin URL with just a few clicks.
Hiding your WordPress Admin URL
- First, log into your WordPress admin dashboard.
- This article assumes that you aleady have iThemes Security installed and activated. If you do not, you may follow our article on installing iThemes Security.
- Within your WordPress admin, hover over Security on the left side menu, and click on Secttings.
- From here, scroll down to the section labeled Hide Login Area.
- To enable hiding of your WordPress admin, check the box labeled Hide Backend.
- After enabling the checkbox in the previous step, additional options will appear. In the Login Slug field, enter your new login location.
- There are various other options available here, but the defaults should be fine for the majority of sites. If you experience issues, you may need to change the Enable Theme Compatibility or Theme Compatibility Slug options. These options will not be covered here as the reasoning for changing them can greatly vary.
- Once your changes have been made, click Save All Changes.
Now that you have hidden your login URL with iThemes Security, your site login URL will be harder to locate, and thus make it more secure from brute force attacks. Note: Be sure to remember what you set in the Login Slug field as without it, you will not be able to log into your WordPress admin dashboard.