We will provide you with the information to download and install the application. Then, we will guide you through the steps to set up a remote connection to your database.
- Download and Install MySQL Workbench
- Video – How to Connect to a Database with MySQL Workbench
- Add IP Address to Remote MySQL
- Connect to Your Database Remotely
Download and Install MySQL Workbench
Use MySQL Workbench as a visual tool for many tasks, including SQL development, data modeling, and database administration. The tool is available for Windows, Linux, and Apple operating systems.
Download MySQL Workbench for free from the MySQL home page.
Once you have downloaded the version of MySQL Workbench to match your computer, install it based on your operating system requirements.
Video – How to Connect a Database with MySQL Workbench
Add IP to Your Remote MySQL
To connect to your databases remotely, add your local computer IP address to the Remote MySQL in cPanel. You can get your IP address by going to the following link: What is my IP address?
Connect To Your Database Remotely
After installing MySQL Workbench and saving your IP address in Remote MySQL, you must configure MySQL Workbench to connect to the database. You will also need to know your database credentials. If you have problems obtaining your credentials, please contact our live technical support team for assistance.
- Open MySQL Workbench.
- In the bottom left of the page, click on New Connection.
- Enter your database connection credentials in the Set up a New Connection dialog box. The following is a list of the credentials you will be configuring:
Connection Name: You can name this whatever you like.
Connection Method: Standard (TCP/IP).
Hostname: You can use your domain our your cPanel IP address.
Username: Your cPanel username or the user you created for the database.
Password: cPanel password or the password for the created database user.
Default Schema: This can be left blank.
- Click Test Connection.
- If you see the message “Connection parameters are correct,” click Ok.
- Click Ok again to accept the connection settings.
- You will find your newly created connection in the SQL Development section. Go to Open Connection to Start Querying, then select your connection.
You will see the databases listed on the left side like this:
Once connected to your database, you can use the MySQL Workbench as your new tool to modify, develop, and administrate your databases. Its features make it a great tool you can use without logging into cPanel.