How do I proceed with transferring and hosting my a domain that I purchased elsewhere?

  • updated
  • Answered

I currently possess the domain ''.

I don't understand how I can transfer that to InMotion Hosting so I can begin hosting it and working on it. I'm quite new to the world of web domains, what can I do?

Arnel C
  • Answered

Hello Nfaynabi,

Thanks for the question of transferring your domain name so that you can begin on developing your website. 

First, it is not necessary to transfer the domain name to immediately start on building your site.  You can create an account with a temporary URL, or any domain name, then use the tools on the account to build a website.  One of the tools you can use comes with your InMotion Hosting account and is called Softaculous.  Softaculous lets you create a basic install using software like WordPress, then create a staging site that allows you to build your site without the domain name that you will use when you publish the site to the public.  The staging site can easily be moved to use the domain name when you're ready.  There are several options for building your site without having transferred the domain name, but this is perhaps the easiest method.  

We also have a guide called How to Transfer your Domain name to InMotion Hosting.This article tells you what's involved in the process and how to go about it.  You should immediately know that any domain that has been registered for less than 60 days can NOT be transferred.  You will have to wait for 60 days to expire before it can be transferred.  Additionally, the domain must be in good standing and not locked.  You will need to work with your current domain registrar in order to make sure that this is the case.  Finally, the administrator email that is part of the contact information of the domain MUST be accessible by you.  When they send you the authorization code for the transfer, it will be to that email address.  Without the code, you will not be able to transfer the domain. 

I hope this helps to answer your question. If you need further assistance, please let us know!

Kindest regards,
Arnel C.