0
Answered

Filezilla Connection Attempt Failed - EAI_NONAME - Neither nodename nor servname provided, or not known

kristinad 2 weeks ago updated by Ronnie H. (Content Marketing Coordinator) 2 weeks ago 3

I'm not able to connect to my site/servers via FTP. I've checked, and my name servers are pointing to Inmotion. Any other ideas why Filezilla isn't recognizing the server name?

Status: Resolving address of ftp.kristinad.com
Status: Connection attempt failed with "EAI_NONAME - Neither nodename nor servname provided, or not known".
Error: Could not connect to server

Answer

Answer
Answered

Sorry that you're running into trouble with Filezilla! As long as your FTP Username, Password, and Port (21) are correct, the most likely problem is something DNS related. This could come down to issues with a CDN like cloudflare, or just a recent DNS change not having synced up somewhere yet (common if a site was recently transferred). 

One reliable workaround to this is to switch out the domain you are using with your server name. Just look up your server name in cPanel, and use that in the place where you previously put your domain name. It should look something like ecbiz###.com, biz###.com, vps####.com, or something else along those lines (with the numbers replaced by the actual server numbers). Try that and hopefully it will resolve the issue!

Answer
Answered

Sorry that you're running into trouble with Filezilla! As long as your FTP Username, Password, and Port (21) are correct, the most likely problem is something DNS related. This could come down to issues with a CDN like cloudflare, or just a recent DNS change not having synced up somewhere yet (common if a site was recently transferred). 

One reliable workaround to this is to switch out the domain you are using with your server name. Just look up your server name in cPanel, and use that in the place where you previously put your domain name. It should look something like ecbiz###.com, biz###.com, vps####.com, or something else along those lines (with the numbers replaced by the actual server numbers). Try that and hopefully it will resolve the issue!

Well, that didn't work either. Logging in with the server name just gave the same error.


But, I tried dropping the "ftp." from the front of my domain name did work. So, I'm good now.

Sorry I didn't think of that one earlier, but I'm glad that worked!