Donate buttons for a charitable site can be added to your WordPress site directly through Paypal. In order to be able to do that, your Paypal account must be confirmed as a 501c3 account. Once your account is approved you would then be able to add buttons classified for donations. Follow the tutorial below to add a donate button onto your website.
Check out InMotion’s WordPress Hosting solutions for a secure, optimized home for your WordPress site.
Select Donate Button
In order to select the Donate button, you will need to be logged into your Paypal account.
- In the Paypal menu, click on Tools
- When the drop-down menu appears, click on Paypal buttons.
- Click on the Donate button option.
Click through the images below. Each image corresponds to the steps above.
Paypal will then walk you through all of the options for the donation button. We describe each screen below:
In the first step, you will be able to select the country/region your button applies to, the language used, the button size, or a custom image.
The next part is for the identification of your charitable organization or the purpose and programs that your donate button is being created for.
After you have identified your charitable organization or programs, then you will need to set the currency, the amount your donors can give, and if you will allow recurring payments.
The last page of options for your donate button include the following:
- Get info from Donors – allows you to set the button to ask for mail addressing information or add a note
- Route donors back to your site – lets you add URLs if the donation is canceled or if the donation is successful. This is useful for creating custom thank you or instructional pages
- Set account identified – select to use a custom identifier or the email address to identify the Paypal account in use.
- Add extra HTML button variables (advanced) – allows you to add additional variables. Paypal provides documentation for these options.
Once you finish selecting all your button options then you can click on the button labeled Finish and Get Code.
Add Donate Button
The final section of adding a Paypal button involves 3 different options: button HTML, a URL for sharing the button, and a QR code graphic. In order to add the button to your WordPress site using the embed code, follow these steps:
- Login to your WordPress site.
- You will see the Button HTML code. Copy it.
- Go to the page or post where you are adding the button
- Either edit with the Code Editor or create a Custom HTML Code block.
- Paste the button code
- Save your page/post.
You can also choose to use the Shareable URL for a link to the button, or a QR code graphic. If the QR code is used you should be put instructions on how to use the code for those who are not familiar with it. The QR code is a graphic that can be scanned by a smartphone. Once it’s scanned it would automatically bring the user to a specific page.
Congratulations! You now know how to add a Paypal Donate button to your WordPress site. For more information, see our other tutorials in the WordPress Product Guide.