How to Backup WordPress with UpdraftPlus
Now that you have installed the Updraft Plus plugin, we will show you how to create a WordPress backup. This is a crucial step before performing maintainenace or updates to your site, since it allows you to easy revert your changes if you experience problems. The backups and also be critical when recovering from a website hack or malware. First, we will show you how to access and choose your backup settings, then walk you through a manual backup.
- Log into your WordPress Dashboard.
- Click Settings then the UpdraftPlus Backups link in the navigation menu.
- Open the Settings tab.
- You can then choose your settings. Below is an outline of the available options.
Option Description Files backup schedule Choose if you want to perform file backups on a schedule, and how many backups you want to keep. Database backup schedule Choose if you want to perform database backups on a schedule, and how many backups you want to keep. Choose your remote storage Select from a list of remote storage options such as FTP, Google Drive, Amazon S3, or Dropbox among others. Include in files backup Select what you want to include or exclude in the files backup here. Database encryption phrase **This is a premium feature. Choose if you want to encrypt your database backup. If you want to receive a backup report via email check this box. It will be sent to the admin address of your website. Expert settings Click the Show expert settings link to view additional options. Here you can change the backup directory, disable SSL verification, enable debug mode (for backups), and delete local backups among other things.
- Once you have chosen your backups settings click the Save Changes button
- To perform a manual backup immediately, open the Current Status tab and click the Backup Now button.
- Choose if you want to include the database and files in the backup then click the Backup Now button.
Congratulations, now you know how to create a WordPress backup using the Updraft Plus plugin! In the next guide, we will show you how to restore your site using the Updraft Plus plugin.
‹Section 2: How to Install the UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin
›Section 4: How to Restore a WordPress Backup with UpdraftPlus