How to Create an XML Sitemap in WordPress
In this tutorial:
An XML sitemap can help vistors navigate your site, and may help search engines understand your site setup. In this tutorial, we will show you how to create an XML Sitemap using the Google XML Sitemaps plugin by Arne Brachhold. Since this plugin automatically creates an XML sitemap you just have to install and activate it. We will then show you how to submit your XML Sitemap
Install GoogleXML Sitemap
- Log into your WordPress Dashboard.
- Click Plugins, then Add New.
- Type 'google xml sitemap' in the available field
- You will see Google XML Sitemaps by Arne Brachhold listed, click the Install Now button.
- When the installation completes, click the Activate button to create your xml sitemap.
Submit XML Sitemap to Search Engines
Now that you have installed the Google XML Sitemap plugin, we will show you how to provide it to the popular Google and Bing search engines.
- You should still be logged into the WordPress Dashboard
- Go to Settings, then XML-Sitemap.
- You can modify the default settings here, but the plugin states "Default values are ok for most sites."
- You will see a message stating "Search engines haven't been notified yet." Click the your sitemap link submit your XML sitemap to Google and Bing.
Congratulations, now you know how to create an XML Sitemap using the Google XML Sitemap plugin by Arne Brachhold!
›Section 2: How to Customize the WordPress Editor with TinyMCE Advanced