The Gutenberg editor in WordPress is packed with features that allow you to create content quickly and easily. However, you may not know that you can also save and reuse the blocks you create for an even more streamlined workflow.
For example, if you wrap up your posts in the same way, you can add that block as a reusable block to quickly add the text in the future. In addition, you can group blocks then save them as one reusable block – like grouping together a cover image, header, and paragraph if you have the same set of blocks in all of your content.
Continue reading to learn more about:
- How to Create Reusable Blocks in WordPress
- How to Add a Reusable Block in WordPress
- How to Edit Reusable Blocks in WordPress
- How to Manage Reusable Blocks in WordPress
Enjoy fast, secure hosting optimized for your WordPress site with our WordPress Hosting plans.
How to Create Reusable Blocks in WordPress
You can easily create reusable blocks in WordPress using the Gutenberg editor. To create a block:
- In a post or page, click on the block or blocks you want to save as a reusable block. You can select multiple blocks by holding down the Shift key while clicking on them.
- Click on the More Options (…) button in the far right of the edit box that appears.
- Under More Options, click Add to Reusable blocks.
- You’ll then be asked to name your block. After entering a name, click Save.
How to Add a Reusable Block in WordPress
To add a saved reusable block to a page or post in WordPress:
- While in the edit screen of a page or post, click within the content edit screen or on the plus sign (+) in the upper left corner to add a block.
- When the block library appears, navigate to Reusable blocks (you may need to search reusable blocks).
- Under Reusable blocks, you should see your saved blocks. Click on the block you want to use to add it to your page or post.
How to Edit Reusable Blocks in WordPress
Editing your reusable block is easier (if you can believe it) than creating the block. However, please note that any changes made to a saved block will be applied to all areas that currently display that block. If you want to make changes to the block individually, make sure you convert the block to a regular block by clicking Convert to regular blocks.
- While editing a page or post, add the block you want to edit to the content area.
- Once the block has been added, click on the block then click Edit.
- After making your changes, click Save.
How to Manage Reusable Blocks in WordPress
If you ever want to review and manage all of your reusable blocks at once, you can do so easily by navigating to the Manage all reusable blocks section.
- While in the edit screen of a page or post, click within the content edit screen or on the plus sign (+) in the upper left corner.
- Once the block library appears, navigate to the Reusable Blocks (you may need to search reusable blocks).
- Towards the bottom of your reusable block list, click on Manage all reusable blocks.
- You’ll be redirected to a page listing all of your blocks. From here you can edit, delete, import, or export your saved reusable blocks.
For more WordPress tips and tricks, check out our WordPress Education Channel!