Learn How to Install Gutenberg
Gutenberg is currently a plugin that needs to be installed before it can be used within WordPress. Eventually, it will be integrated into WordPress so that when perform a WordPress install, it is the default editor. Currently, this tutorial is based on WordPress version 4.9.8 and Gutenberg version 4.3.0. There are a couple of ways to install Gutenberg. As the creators of WordPress are heavily promoting Gutenberg, you will see an announcement immediately after loading WordPress. We will briefly discuss it in the steps below and include the option to load it through the Plugins section of WordPress.
How to Install Gutenberg from the WordPress Administrator Dashboard
- First, you will need to login to your WordPress Administrator Dashboard.
- New installations of WordPress will have an announcement about Gutenberg right when you log in to the dashboard. In the middle of the page you will see the option to Install Gutenberg and a convenient button. Click on the button to start the installation.
- The button will change as the installation proceeds. When it's finished installing, it will briefly show Installed. It will then show the word Activate on the button. Click on this button to activate the Gutenberg plugin.
That completes the installation of the Gutenberg plugin through the WordPress Administrator dashboard. Pretty easy right? Let's see how to install it through the Plugins portion of your WordPress site.
How to Install Gutenberg in the Plugins section of WordPress
- If you're not already in the WordPress administrator, then log in the dashboard.
- Once you're logged in scroll down the menu on the lefthand side and select Plugins.
- In the Plugins page, click on Add New.
- In the field labeled Search plugins... type in Gutenberg and hit enter.
- You will then see the Gutenberg plugin shown in the list with a button labeled Install Now. Click on this button.
- It will show that it's installing (as long as you have an internet connection), and then the button label will change to Activate when it's complete. Click on Activate in order to complete the installation and turn on the Gutenberg plugin.
When it's activated, the screen will go back to the Plugins page and show you the Gutenberg plugin in the list. That completes our tutorial on how to install the Gutenberg plugin in WordPress. Learn more about Gutenberg here.
‹Section 1: How to use the Content Structure Option in Gutenberg
›Section 3: Getting to Know Gutenberg