In this guide we will show you how to add a product attribute to your osCommerce website. This allows you to add additional options to an existing product. For example you can sell a T-shirt and add more options, such as colors, and let customers choose from a drop-down menu. You can also add additional prices for the attribute, for example extra large shirts can cost $4.00 more than a large, and a small can be $3.00 less.
This will be accomplished in the osCommerce Admin section by creating a new Product Option, adding values to the option, then adding the option to the product.
Creating a Product Attribute & Adding Values:
- Login to the Admin section of osCommerce.
- Click the Catalog option in the menu, then click Products Attributes.
- In the blank field under Product Options enter your new attribute, then click the Insert button.
- Now, click your new Option Name under the Option Values section, and enter the new option to the right. Click the Insert button to save, then repeat for additional options (in my tests I added Black, and White color options).
Add an Attribute to a Product:
- Under the Products Attributes section, choose your product from the drop-down box (in my test I am choosing T-Shirt).
- To the right, click the Option name from the drop-down menu (in my tests I am choosing Color).
- Beneath the Option Value section choose your option (in my tests I selected Black).
- Under the Value Price menu, enter the price difference, then enter a ‘+’ or ‘-‘ under the Prefix field if you want to add or subtract.
- Click the Insert Button to save.
Congratulations, now you know how to add a Product Atttriubte in osCommerce!