Private Cloud Core – OpenStack Cloud Operator’s Manual
There are several phases of creating an OpenStack cloud and most of the public documentation focuses on the initial creation of a cloud. With OpenMetal, we provide a full private OpenStack so you will start as an “Operator.” This guide, with a few noted exceptions, applies to any OpenStack that has been provisioned to OpenStack.org’s RefStack standard.
For those reading this, it is assumed you have followed the OpenMetal Central Process to provision your cloud already. Visit OpenMetal Central to signup or sign in.
For product details, please visit OpenMetal.io.
An OpenStack cloud is managed either through the command line using OpenStackClient or with Horizon, which is a web browser dashboard. The Day 1 guides are split into Horizon and command line guides and both cover the same topics, such as how to create a network, security group, and spawn an instance.
To get started, you will need to obtain your Horizon credentials for the user “admin”. Once logged in to Horizon, if you prefer working over the command line, you can download the required files required to prepare OpenStack’s command line client, OpenStackClient.
- Managing OpenStack Users, Groups and Projects
- Networking in OpenStack
- Working with Images
- How to Create an Instance
Command Line Guides
- Introduction to OpenStackClient
- Managing OpenStack Users, Groups and Projects using the Command Line
- Create a Network
- Manage OpenStack Images
- Create an Instance
- Managing Backups in OpenStack
- Ceph, Cinder, and Swift
- Common Ceph CLI Commands
- Information on Ceph Data Durability
- Common OpenStack CLI Commands
- Backing up Your Data
- How to Handle a Failed Control Plane Node
- Create OpenStack Configuration Backups
- OpenStack Failure Scenarios
- OpenStack Hardware Node Maintenance
- Add Additional Provider IP Blocks
- Add and Remove Hardware Nodes
- How to Prepare and Use Kolla Ansible
- Enable TLS using Kolla Ansible
- Enable Central Logging using Kolla Ansible
- Automate OpenStack using Terraform