How to use a Shared SSL with Movable Type
Like other hosting services, Web Hosting Hub includes a free SSL called a Shared SSL that can be used to help with providing securing connections. The main issue is that the URL is not the same as the URL that is used for the site. The following article explains the changes involved in using a Shared SSL with your Movable Type installation. Note that the following changes will also involve a manual change of one of the Movable Type configuration files. Make sure that you have made a good backup before proceeding with any of the changes.
Setting up a Shared SSL with your Movable Type Website
- If you are working with Web Hosting Hub, and you have not made changes to your file permissions, then you should review the Movable Type permissions changing to 666 article.
- Login to the Movable Type Administrator Dashboard
- Select the Website that you want to edit.
- Scroll down the menu on the left hand side and click on SETTINGS.
- Under General Settings in the screen on right, scroll down to PUBLISHING PATHS. Click on the EDIT button next to WEBSITE URL. Change the site URL to match your shared SSL. If you need help finding the shared SSL, please go to the following article: How to obtain an SSL certificate? Here's an example: https://secure25.webhostinghub.com/~userna21.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen, then click on SAVE CHANGES.
The next part requires that you make a direct change in the configuration files for Movable Type.
- Login to your Cpanel
- Go the File Manager and locate the Movable Type installation directory. This is not the same path as where Movable Type publishes. This is the directory that you chose when initially installing Movable Type. Look for the mt-config.cgi file, select the file (by clicking on it) and then click on EDITOR or CODE EDITOR in the menu bar at the top of the interface.
- Scroll through the text in the mt-config.cgi file until you find the section labeled REQUIRED SETTINGS. In this section you will see the following:
CGIPath /cgi-bin/movtype/ StaticWebPath /~whhsup5/mt523/mt-static/ StaticFilePath /home/whhsup5/public_html/mt523/mt-staticChange the STATICWEBPATH so that the USERNAME is included in the path - in the example above, you will see "~whhsup5".
- When you have completed making the change, click on SAVE CHANGES in the top right hand corner of the editor.
Changing the URL to use an SSL is typically used to provide a secure connection between the user and the server. Using a dedicated SSL certificate for a specific URL is better since your customers will see a friendlier, easy-to-read URL. However, if you have no bettwer way to use SSL, then used the shared solution in order to provide a secure connection between the servrer and user's desktop stations.
Here are a few questions related to this article that our customers have asked:
Ooops! It looks like there are no questions about this page.
Would you like to ask a question about this page? If so, click the button below!