How to create a Multiple choice question in Moodle
Continuing the Moodle 2.3 Question Bank courses, in the previous tutorial, the Matching Question was discussed. In this tutorial, the Multiple choice question will be reviewed. Moodle has a great feature for making Multiple choice questions. Multiple choice questions can be great for building easy tests for the students. Let's walk through the steps on how to create a multiple choice question in Moodle 2.3.
Creating a multiple choice question in Moodle
- Log into the Moodle Dashboard
- Navigate to Front page settings > Question bank > Questions in the Settings section to the left. Click Create a new question. Select Multiple choice and click Next.
- On the Adding a Multiple choice question page, fill in the General settings for the question. The general settings are explained in the following table.
General multiple choice settings Category This will place the question in a particular category for organizing the questions into groups. Question name This is a short name for the question. The actual question will go in the Question Text. Question text The actual question goes in this box. Default mark Sets how much the question will be worth in points. General feedback General information about the question can be placed here. For example, the student can be told how much the question was worth. One or multiple answers? If the question can have more than one correct answer, the question can be set to multiple answers allowed. Shuffle the choices? This option allows the choices to shuffle, preventing students from making an answer key. Number the choices? The choices can have a different numbering format. Numbering can be turned off or set to numeric, roman numeral, or alpha characters.
- Next, fill in the Choices. There must be at least 2 choices for the multiple choice question to be used. The Feedback will display when the answer is selected.
Important! The Grade for at least one Choice will need to be set to 100%
The Combined feedback section will be used for adding feedback to multiple choice questions that are set to Multiple answers allowed. In this tutorial, only the One answer only will be used.
Click Save changes.
- Preview the question in the Question bank.
- Finally the question should look similar to the snapshot. Congratulations, the multiple choice question was inserted into the Question Bank. If any mistakes were made, the question can always be edited by going to the question bank and clicking on the edit icon for the question.
This concludes the article for How to create a Multiple choice question in Moodle. Please check the next article on How to create a Numerical Question in Moodle 2.3.
You are NOT logged in. You can still browse our Support Center.
To participate within our Community Support Forum: