How to change MediaWiki skins
The default appearance of MediaWiki can be changed to better represent your wiki site. The themes in mediawiki are called skins. Skinning the MediaWiki site is necessary in order to customize the site to your personal preferences. This article will explain how to change the skin and to upload a free skin in MediaWiki.
Default MediaWiki skins
MediaWiki has 9 skins built into teh default installation available for use. The included MediaWiki skins are:
- Cologne Blue
- Vector (the default)
In the following section, we will switch the default vector them to the nostalgia and the modern theme.
How do I change the MediaWiki Default skin?
- Log into cPanel and Navigate to your File manager select the MediaWiki install folder and click Go.
- Navigate to the following file in your MediaWiki installation directory.
Open the file in the code editor.
- Find the following line in your LocalSettings.php file.
$wgDefaultSkin = "vector";
- To change the skin to "the modern skin", change the code to the following and save the changes.
$wgDefaultSkin = "modern";
- Now try the nostalgia skin. Type the following in the code and save the page.
$wgDefaultSkin = "nostalgia";
Uploading and Installing a free skin
MediaWiki skins can be downloaded for free as well. Instead of using the basic skins, you can download free templates from various free sites. This tutorial will use the free template from Go media wiki.
This free theme can be downloaded here. The downloaded file will be called:
Steps to upload a free theme in MediaWiki
- Log into cPanel and go to the file manager and select your mediawiki folder location and click Go.
- Navigate to public_html/mediawiki/skins
- Upload the naumenko-GMW-Free-Skin-e6b5fd4.zip file
- Extractthe files and move the following files and folders to the skins folder location so it looks like the snapshot to the right.
- To change thye current theme to the blue theme, edit the LocalSettings.php file and change the $wgDefaultSkin to the following.
$wgDefaultSkin = "gmwfreeblue";