Magento 1.6 has a powerful logging system that can be extremely helpful when debugging any issues you may have. If there’s an error there is almost always an entry in the system or exceptions log. By default though, logging is not enabled. Enabling the logs in Magento 1.6 is relatively easy and is accomplished through the Magento Admin Backend.
Enabling System and Exception Logging
- Log into your Magento Admin Backend
- Go to System ->> Configuration
- Click on “Developer” in the left side menu pane
- Open the “Log Settings” section
- Change the “Enabled” to “Yes“
- Click “Save Config“
Now, any system events that are logged will be to a system.log file located in the /var/log folder. Any exceptions that are to be logged will be in a file called exception.log in the /var/log folder as well.
If you need further assistance please feel free to ask a question on our support center.