In this Joomla 3 tutorial we will show you how to add a weather module to your website. You will then be able to display the weather forcast for a specific region. In this guide, we will be using the free Weather365, which is powered by Weather365.net. I chose this module because it can be set up easily, and it does not require any payment or registration.
Installing and Enabling the Weather365 Module
- Download the Weather365 module. At the time this article was written the file was named: mod_weather_365_3.0.zip.
- Login to the Joomla 3 dashboard.
- Click Extensions, then Extension Manager in the main menu.
- Click the Choose File button, and select the Weather365 module you downloaded in Step 1. Then click the Upload & Install button. It is installed when you see a message stating “Installing module was successful.“
- In the main menu, click Extensions, then click Module Manager.
- In the search box type Weather365, then click the search button. Click the red X next to the Weather365 module to enable it.
Configure the Weather365 Module
- Go to the Weather365 site, enter the city you want the weather displayed for, then hit Enter on the keyboard. You will see your city listed, copy the number code next to it for later use.
- In the Joomla Dashboard, click Extensions, then Module Manager.
- Click the Weather365 module.
You will then see the see the Weather365 settings, fill them in as needed. Below is a brief description of the options:
Option Description CityID Enter the number you copied in Step 1 here. Forecast Select if you want to display a 1 day, or 3 day forecast. Style Choose from 4 different styles: 1, 2, 3, and 4. I recommend trying them to see which one you prefer. Temperature Scale Choose C for celsius, or F for fahrenheit. Alignment Select if you want the weather module to align right, left, or center. Cache Time Choose how often you want your website to update the weather forecast. Your choices range from 1 hour, to 12 hours
. Updating to frequently can affect the performance of your website.
Congratulations, now you know how to add a Weather Module in Joomla 3!