Note that development for this plugin has ceased. The download link is no longer valid. If you follow the link, it will bring you alternatives. The following article will remain for archive purposes.
The easiest way to create a Sitemap for a Joomla 3 website is to use one of the many Extensions available. In this guide we will walk you through creating a sitemap.xml file for a Joomla 3 website, using the Xmap extension. Creating a sitemap can help Google crawl your website more accurately, since it provides a list of all your pages. Click here to learn more about Joomla Hosting.
Installing the Xmap Extension
- Download the Xmap Package
Generating a Sitemap
- Login to the Admin Dashboard for Joomla 3.
- In the main menu, click Components, then Xmap.
- Click the New button.
- On the next screen, enter a name for sitemap in the Title field, and change the Status to Published. Make sure the Access setting is set to Public.
- Select the Menus tab. Click the check box next to the menus you want included in the sitemap.
- The other fields are not required, click the Save button when you are finished. You will then see a message stating “Item successfully saved.“
Congratulations, now you know how to a generate a sitemap.xml file for a Joomla 3 website, using the Xmap extension.