One of the more popular plugins for Joomla is VirtueMart. This free plugin enables your Joomla Content Management System to become a very serviceable and powerful open source e-commerce solution. Like Joomla, VirtueMart is written in PHP and uses a MySQL database for its backend. The following article gives more detail on VirtueMart's capabilities, then organizes a select list of the resources available in the InMotion Hosting Support Center as well as a few links to other resources.
Features of VirtueMart
VirtueMart is a component or plugin for Joomla, so it utilizes the Joomla framework which gives it great flexibility. This capability allows it be extended by other plugins, components,templates and modules available to Joomla. You can find more extensions for VirtueMart at its official extensions web page.
Here's a quick list of the main features for VirtueMart:
- Categories - Nested categories, meta tags, description with media
- Checkout - Guest checkout, checkout registration, stored cart sessions, 1-click checkout, multi-page or single page checkout, support for SSL
- Dynamic Calculator - discount and tax options
- Inventory/Stock - Support for stocking and inventory, stock warnings, virtual stock
- Multilingual and Multicurrency support - support for languages as per Joomla, auto-update exchange rates, custom currency definitions
- Orders - logical order workflow, history of orders, order tracking for non-registered users
- Payment options - payment supported 3rd party plugins, set minimum or maximum payment requirements, transaction fees, and shopper groups. Paypal and cash on delivery are included
- Products - meta tags, short and long descriptions, dimensions, multiple media support, attributes, child products, related products, and reviews and ratings
- Products Display - latest, top ten products sold, newest, featured, sortable, searchable
- Shipping - based on third-party plugins, shopper groups, foreign shipping support, based on weight, country, articles, order amount or zip code
- Search Engine Friendly/Search Engine Optimization options - uses meta tags to help sort products and provide a user friendly URL that can also be used to help optimize website links for search engines
- Shopper groups - specific pricing, specific pricing displayed, available shipment or payment options
- Shoppers - customizable shopper registration form, address book, anonymous checkout support
Note that there are MANY features for Virtuemart, and we do not list all of them in the list above. Features may change as the program is updated.
InMotion Hosting Resources for VirtueMart
Setup and Configure VirtueMart
- How to install VirtueMart for Joomla 2.5
- How to link to your VirtueMart store front in Joomla 2.5
- How to change the front page text in VirtueMart for Joomla 2.5
- How to change your Site Title in VirtueMart for Joomla 2.5
- How to change your VirtueMart store language
- What are VirtueMart language files?
- VirtueMart Language Packs
Dealing with Categories and Products in VirtueMart
- How to add a new Product Category within VirtueMart for Joomla 2.5
- How to Add a Category image in VirtueMart for Joomla 2.5
- How to add a new Product in VirtueMart for Joomla 2.5
- How to add a Featured Product in VirtueMart for Joomla 2.5
- How to Delete Products in VirtueMart for Joomla 2.5
- How to remove latest products from the VirtueMart homepage
- How to remove Topten Products from your VirtuteMart store front
- How to remove Featured Products from VirtueMart Store Front
VirtueMart Currency, Payment, Shipping and Tax Articles
- How to change the Default Currency in VirtueMart for Joomla 2.5
- How to setup Paypal in VirtueMart for Joomla 2.5
- How to setup VirtueMart Shipping
- How to prevent tax details from being shown in your VirtueMart store
VirtueMart Search Engine Optimization and Search Articles
- VirtueMart Search Plugin
- How to Customize the VirtueMart Search Module
- VirtueMart Product Search
- Advanced VirtueMart Search
- VirtueMart SEF URLs
- VirtueMart Search Filter
- VirtueMart Product Search Extensions and Plugins for Joomla 2.5
- VirtueMart Ajax Search
- Why do I lose products when I change languages in VirtueMart?
- Why are no prices listed on my VirtueMart Checkout page?
- VirtueMart Error - no shipment method matches the characteristics of your order
External Resource Links for VirtueMart
›Section 2: What is the difference between a Joomla 2.5 Plugin, Module, and Component?
Joomla Community Google+ Hangout #3
June 3rd, 2014
Thank you @RustyJoomla for letting me speak on the Joomla Community Google+ Hangout!
You are NOT logged in. You can still browse our Support Center.
To participate within our Community Support Forum:
Joomla 2.5 Plugins, Modules, and Components
2014-12-25 8:00 am
issues with virtuemart on joomla 2.5. I need a plugin that handles weight shipment. i.e N200/1Kg
2014-12-26 10:22 am
This can be done within Virtuemart itself, here is a guide on Virtuemart Shipping.