Softaculous Auto Upgrade and Rollback
In this tutorial:
When working with Content Management Systems such as WordPress, staying updated is very important. There are always people out there looking to exploit security holes in programs such as these. Keeping your software up to date will help protect your website and data from hackers. The Softaculous installer tool in your cPanel allows you to set WordPress to auto upgrade so that your site stays protected with the latest security updates.
Setting the Auto Upgrade for Softaculous Programs
List of Softaculous programs with Auto Upgrade feature
Not all programs in the Softaculous suite have this feature yet. Below is a list of the ones we have found to have the auto-update option.
- Form Tools
- Group Office
- Prosmotube Express
Enabling Auto Upgrade feature for new installations
- Log into your cPanel
- Click on the Softaculous icon located in the Software/Services category.
- Select the program you wish to install. In this example, we will select the WordPress application.
- While filling in the appropriate details for the installation, ensure you select the checkbox labeled Auto Upgrade which is located under the Advanced Options section.
- Click on the Install button. This will install the program with the Auto Upgarde feature enabled.
Enabling Auto Upgrade feature for existing installations
- Log into your cPanel
- Locate the Software/Services category and click on the Softaculous icon.
- Look to the upper right corner qnd click on the All Installations or Application Installs icon (depending on whether you are on shared or VPS/Dedicated plan).
- You will see a list of currently installed applications. Find the one you want to enable the Auto Upgrade for and click on the Edit Details icon. It looks like a piece of paper with a pencil on it.
- This brings you to a screen that has several settings you can change for the installation. One of them is the Auto Upgrade checkbox. Check this to enable it.
- After enabling the feature, click on the Edit Installation Details button. The feature will now be enabled.
How often will the program upgrade?
Softaculous has a automatic script, also known as a Cron job, that runs once every 24 hours. Among other things, such as automated backups (if enabled) this script runs the Auto Upgrade check so if any new updates are available, it will upgrade the program at that time.
Performing a Rollback
In a perfect world, every update would go without a hitch. However, things occasionally go wrong when updates run. Thankfully Softaculous makes a backup of your site just in case something goes awry. You can then perform a rollback and revert to the previously working version. Below are the instructions on how to do that.
- Log into your cPanel dashboard.
- Find the Software/Services category and click on the Softaculous icon.
- From the main Softaculous page, look at the icons in the upper right corner. Click on the Backup/Restore link.
- To perform the restore, click on the Restore arrow. It is the light blue arrow pointing sideways.
- A new page appears asking if you want to restore the database and the files. Keep both checkboxes selected and click on the Restore Installation button.
After a few moments your installation should be restored. Below is a before and after displaying how the restore rolled back my WordPress version.