The WP-reCAPTCHA plugin is a good tool for fighting spam in WordPress. It can prevent spammers from posting unwanted comments in your WordPress blog. A CAPTCHA is an image made up of letters and numbers, and a user is required to type those same letters and numbers correctly to prove they are not a spam bot. It is difficult for bots to read the image, and therefore prevents automated spam bots from posting in your blog. In this article we’ll show you how to install the WP-reCAPTCHA WordPress plugin.
If you’re looking for an optimized WordPress stack, search no further. Our WordPress Hosting package really moves the needle.
- Log into your WordPress Dashboard
- Roll your mouse over Plugins, then click Add New.
- In the search box type wp-recaptcha and hit enter. Click Install Now next to the WP-reCAPTCHA plugin.
- On the next screen click the Activate Plugin link, and the WP-reCAPTCHA plugin will be installed and enabled.
How to Setup the reCAPTCHA API Keys
- Go to the Google reCAPTCHA Admin page (https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin), click the doamin you want to use the reCAPTCHA keys for.
If you have not registered your site for Google reCAPTCHA, you can do so on the bottom of this page. It is also covered in our guide
How to get the public and private keys for Google reCAPTCHA
Now when visitors post a Comment or Register for your site, they will have to complete a re-CAPTCHA validation, to prove they are human. See the examples below.
Examples of WP-reCAPTCHA
|Comment Page:||Registration Page:|
You now have a CAPTCHA system for your WordPress blog, and the amount of Spam to your site should be reduced!