In this tutorial:
As a reseller you have the ability to use your own custom nameservers, which can help you in branding your reseller accounts. For example, instead of having them point to our default nameservers, you can have them point to:
In this tutorial we will guide you through the process of using your own nameservers. First you must create the A records for the nameservers, activate the nameservers, then assigning them in the Web Host Manager (WHM). Then going forward, when you create a new cPanel, it will use the default nameservers.
This will not change the nameservers for existing cPanel accounts. They will have to Update their nameservers to the new ones, with their registrar.
Creating Nameservers (as an A record)
- Login to the cPanel for the domain you want included in the Nameservers. For example if you want to create: ns1.example.com, you would login to the cPanel for example.com
- On the left side of cPanel under stats, locate and copy your Shared IP Address. You may have to click the expand stats link.
- Under Domains select Zone Editor and then + A Record. Older cPanels will use the Advanced DNS Zone Editor instead.
- In Advanced Zone Editor, in the Add a Record section, fill in the fields as needed for each nameserver you want to create. Below is a brief example of what to enter in the fields.
Field Name Example Name Enter the nameserver you want to setup here, for example: ns1.yourdomain.com TTL You can enter any positive number here, but I recommend entering 14400, which is quite standard across the industry. Type Select A Address Enter the Shared IP you viewed earlier in cPanel (in step 1).
After filling in the fields, click the Add Record button. You may see a message stating Added record.
Activating Name Servers with your Registrar
At this point you must activate or glue your new nameservers with your registrar. If your domain is registered through InMotion Hosting, proceed to the next section.
- Login to your domain Registrar where you registered the MyCustomNameServer.com domain name.
- Most Registrars will have a section similar to Maintain name servers under this domain, or it’s sometimes referred to as glue, or host records as well.
- Typically you’ll just need to enter in the part before your domain name ns1 for instance, and then your shared IP address.
- Repeat the same step again for the ns2 host as well.
Activate Your New Nameservers in AMP
If your domain is register through us, you can activate (also knows as glue) your Custom Nameserversin AMP.
- Login to AMP.
- Move your mouse over the DOMAINS menu, and click the MANAGE DOMAINS link.
- Click the domain name you want to edit from the list.
- On the next screen click Create custom nameservers.
- In the Add Name Server section enter your custom nameservers, and your Shared IP for both nameservers. Click the Submit button to save your changes:
Assigning Nameservers in WHM
- Login to WHM.
- In the left navigation menu, click Server Configuration, then click the Basic cPanel & WHM Setup.
- You will then see the current nameserver assignments.
Enter your new nameservers, and click the Save Changes button. You will then see a message stating Your account’s nameservers have been set to ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com.This system has no free IPs.
Remember, any DNS modification such as a Nameserver change can take up to 24 hours to propagate.
Congratulations, now you know how to use custom nameserver as a reseller!