Choosing a hosting provider is one of the most important decisions you’ll make when it comes to your website. Your website’s performance, user experience, and even security all rely on it.
But with so many options, how do you know which one is best?
We’ve put together a simple, easy-to-use guide that will walk you through everything you need to know. Keep reading to learn what must-have features you should look for and for a quick comparison of the most popular companies out there.
Understand Your Hosting Needs
Before you can do anything else, it’s important to understand the particular needs of your business’s website.
For example, if you’re building a stand-alone blog, your needs will be much different than a business that runs a high-traffic e-commerce page. Here are some questions you should ask yourself:
- What kind of website am I building?
- How much traffic do I anticipate?
- Do I require any special software or custom apps?
- Will I be using a lot of large graphics, video, or other media?
Once you have a basic idea of what you need, you’ll be able to do more informed research and, ultimately, choose the right host for your website.
Types of Web Hosting Services
There are several types of hosting services you can sign up for and what you choose should be based on your business’s needs and budget. The most popular are:
- Shared hosting: In a shared hosting environment, many different websites all share the same server and resources. Shared options are the most affordable, as the cost to operate the server is shared between all of the owners. There are, however, several downsides, such as the potential for slow load times and increased risk of viruses.
- Dedicated hosting: In a dedicated hosting environment, you have the entire web server to yourself. This usually allows for greater customization options, as well as faster load times and more reliable performance. The cost is much higher, but it is an excellent option for high-volume websites such as a popular e-commerce store.
- VPS hosting: VPS is often thought of as a happy medium between the two. The server is “containerized”: each account has its own resource allocation; so the cost is kept relatively low, and no matter what, no one else can infringe upon your dedicated space.
When searching for a hosting company, there are a few features that you just can’t skimp on. Here’s what you should look for:
- Server reliability: Nothing is more important than knowing that your website is always going to be up and running, without any significant downtime. These days, most hosting companies offer uptimes of 99.95% or more, and anything below 99% is considered unacceptable.
- Scalability: Many websites start out small and gain traffic and visitors as they grow. It’s important that your hosting company can grow with your website and provide you with extra space as you need it.
- Security: When your website gets hacked, it’s not just your information that is at risk, but all of your customers or clients as well. That’s why it’s absolutely vital to know that your hosting provider offers robust security features, including firewall or DDoS systems, SSL certificates, and automated backup solutions.
- An easy-to-use hosting control panel: Many business owners are not web design experts, so it’s important that your hosting provider makes it easy to access and navigate your control panel.
- Great customer support: Finally, if you have a problem with your website, you should know that you can always reach support personnel – whether it’s 8 a.m. or 8 p.m. Ideally, your hosting company will offer multiple options, such as telephone support or live chat, so you can communicate via your preferred method.
Finding the Best WordPress Hosting
When it comes to finding the best WordPress Hosting provider, your options may seem infinite. Making the right choice can be confusing, as all of the companies seem to offer similar features and options.
If you have questions regarding different companies and which one might be the best choice, we have a simple guide where we discuss popular options and how InMotion compares.
We’ve earned a reputation for being one of the most reliable and dependable hosting sites available today. No matter what stage you’re at in your online business, our managed platform for WordPress is fine-tuned to deliver superior performance, security, and provide best-in-class hosting.