Want cheap web hosting that’s still quality? It’s hard to find, but it can be done.
Just like shopping for any web hosting service, it’s important to know what you need going into the process. Many web hosting companies offer similar rates or packages, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re offering the same products.
It’s up to you to do the homework and find out what services and features each company offers. You’ll likely find that many ‘cheap’ hosting providers are lacking in some must-have attributes.
Here’s what to look for in a web hosting company and how to know if you’re really getting a bargain or just getting scammed:
What should I look for in a Web Hosting service?
Cheap or not, any web hosting company you sign up with should offer a few key features. Without these basics, you risk your website’s performance, security, and reliability.
These non-negotiables include:
- Reliable support: There will come a time when you run into a problem with your website, and you will (of course) want to get it resolved quickly. Some ‘bargain’ hosting services only offer email support – and you may have to wait hours or even days for a response. A quality web hosting provider will provide 24/7 live customer support, 365 days a year, no matter how much you pay for your plan.
- Malware and spam protection: As a business owner, the security of your website should be your #1 priority. Why? It’s not only your own data that’s at risk but that of your customers. If your website houses private information like addresses, phone numbers, or credit card data, it’s vital to keep it safe and protected at all times.
- Free domain: Along with web hosting, a domain name is the one other thing that you need to publish your website. Many web hosting companies include a domain name as part of their package – and it’s 100% easier when you can get everything all in one spot.
- Easy site builder: If you’re creating a brand-new website, having access to an easy site builder makes the process far more user-friendly. Most quality web hosting providers include a site builder as part of any plan.
- Scalability: You’re likely starting out with a cheap plan because you’re new to business and on a fixed budget. But as your business grows, so will your website traffic, and at some point, you’ll need a more powerful server. It’s important to be with a hosting service that can seamlessly grow with your site, so you don’t experience any performance issues or unnecessary service outages.
- Guaranteed uptime: Of course, when it comes to running a business website, one of the most important things is knowing that your customers will be able to access it at any time without any problems. Your web hosting provider should be able to guarantee an uptime of 99.5% or more.
Is cheap web hosting right for me?
The bottom line is this: you have to understand your website and what it needs. You may find that you are able to get an appropriate web hosting plan for a ‘cheap’ price – and you may not.
For example, if you run a simple standalone blog, you will need fewer resources than a thriving e-commerce site. If, however, you run a site that gets thousands of visitors every day or uses a lot of custom apps or graphics, you will likely need more RAM and bandwidth.
Many cheap sites are unable to meet those greater requirements – and you don’t want your website’s performance to suffer for the sake of saving a few dollars.
That’s why we recommend looking for a provider that offers a fair price. It’s about finding the right balance between cost and services provided.
Your web hosting provider should not only have a solid reputation but should be able to meet all of your requirements – and that’s not necessarily going to be the company that provides cheap web hosting.
The key is doing a lot of research and finding a quality service that offers reasonable rates. With InMotion Hosting, you can rest assured that your website will be safe and secure, and have performance you can count on – and we offer hosting packages at a variety of levels, so you can be sure to find something that fits within your budget.