The average person is exposed to about 5,000 ads a day. At some point, they start screening what they’ll interact with and start ignoring other brands unless it’s something they have a personal interest in. So, how do you compete with all of those other businesses and stay top of mind?
Three words: call to action. For people suffering from decision fatigue, a clear, consistent message can make all the difference.
Here’s what you need to know:
What is a Call to Action?
A call to action (CTA) is a prompt or statement designed to get an immediate response from the audience. It is, literally, a call to take an action.
The action you want people to take could be anything: sign up for an email list, purchase a product, or enroll in an online course. They’re regularly used in business as part of a healthy marketing strategy, and they’re generally placed at the end of a sales pitch or other content to let the readers know what they should do next.
Still not sure what they are or how they work? Keep reading!
How Does a Call To Action Help?
Beyond achieving the final end-goal (whether it’s a purchase, a sign-up, or something else), CTAs are useful in a variety of ways:
- They help visitors transition between various phases of the buyer’s journey. A CTA prompts the reader to act, perhaps to give you contact information or download an e-book. Why? The easier you make it to take the next step in your sales funnel, the more likely people will do it. Your CTA creates a better user experience: you tell your audience exactly how they should proceed rather than making them guess.
- Customers expect to find a CTA. We live in a world of convenience, and people don’t want to have to search for information. As such, many people depend on a CTA at the end of the page or the bottom of the image to tell them what to do next. For example, if you publish a video with a new product demonstration, you should provide a way for the audience to purchase at the end. Or if you write a blog announcing your new coaching service, you might include a “Sign up for Your Free Consultation” button at the bottom.
- They enhance your digital advertising. Any advertising campaign you run is about generating hype for a product or service and grabbing the audience’s attention. A call to action provides that last little push that many people need before they take the bait. They’re especially important in paid advertising, such as PPC ads or social media promotions, because . . . well, why pay for an ad if you’re not going to give the audience a clear way to make a purchase? That’s just wasted money.
Call To Action Examples
Not sure how you can work a CTA (or several) into your own content? Here are several examples of common calls-to-action that help increase leads and improve sales:
- Forms: Use a form such as an email-list signup or a contact sheet to turn visitors into leads. Using a WordPress plugin like WPForms makes the process quite simple with customizable templates and instant notifications.
- Service or product discovery: These lead the visitor to products or services offered by the company, and you can use them across your site. One common tactic is to include internal backlinks within your blog or other content.
- Event promotions: These CTAs alert your audience to special events or promotions. Again, they can be used across your website. BoldGrid makes it easy to add an events calendar to your WordPress website, and then drive your audience to that calendar through the use of banner ads, pop-ups, and more.
- Sharing: This is one of the simplest, and easiest-to-use, CTAs out there. It simply encourages the reader to share your content with their friends via social media or email. A number of plugins are available to help you add the functionality to your website.
Bottom line? If you’re running a business website and not utilizing calls-to-action, you’re missing out on a lot of potential sales. Contact us today to find out how our Website Creator tool makes creating dozens of different CTAs easy, and how it might work for you.