Hosting services dedicated exclusively to WordPress can help guarantee the best possible security and performance for your website. But even then, there are dozens of quality options available on the market. How can you possibly know which one is right for you?
The key lies in knowing your specific needs and requirements. We’re going to do a deep-dive on how to determine what you need and how to choose the best WordPress hosting service for you.
Let’s jump right in:
What is Hosting Service?
Let’s start with the basics: What exactly is a web hosting service?
Web hosting is a must-have if you want visitors to be able to access your website via the internet. It is the physical location of your website, and the storage center for all of its data, software, images, video, and other content. Web hosting providers maintain the server where the data is stored and often provide services such as backups, updates, and more.
The type of hosting service you need is typically determined by the amount of disk space you require or the amount of bandwidth (or data transfer) your website needs to operate.
When it comes to choosing the best hosting for WordPress, it’s vital that you know what those needs are.
What are the Different Types of Web Hosting?
When you understand your website’s requirements, choosing the appropriate plan is easy. These are the basic types of web hosting that you should be aware of:
- Shared hosting: Shared hosting is when one physical server is shared between many different users (sometimes thousands). All of the resources, including bandwidth and data, are split up between all of the websites on the server, although not necessarily equally: If any one website uses more than their share of the resources, it can affect the performance of your own site. This is usually a good option for those just starting out or who have a static site.
- Dedicated hosting: On the opposite end of the spectrum is dedicated hosting. This is when an entire physical machine is dedicated exclusively to your website (or websites) and their needs. All of the bandwidth and data are yours and no one else can access them. The server is highly customizable, very secure, and quite reliable. This option is great for high-traffic websites or those that are constantly adding new content.
- VPS hosting: VPS is usually considered a nice middle ground between shared hosting and dedicated hosting. It offers a guaranteed allotment of resources within a shared environment. VPS offers the affordability of a shared plan with the customization options and greater stability of a dedicated plan and is typically suitable for most business owners.
- Managed WordPress hosting: Managed WordPress hosting is usually offered in a shared environment. The server is set up to meet the unique demands of WordPress websites making it possible to fully optimize performance and security.
Choosing the Best WordPress Hosting Option
Choosing the best WordPress web host depends on several factors, including budget, a website’s data and bandwidth requirements, and the host’s performance, security, and support. Ask yourself:
- Do they offer an easy-to-use website builder? Many business owners are not web design experts, so it’s important that your hosting provider makes it easy to create and maintain your new website.
- Are their servers reliable? Nothing is more important that knowing that your website is always going to be up and running, without any significant downtime. Look for a hosting company that offers uptimes of at least 99.95% so you can be sure of a great user experience.
- Are the plans scalable? As your business grows, so will your web hosting needs. More visitors means a greater need for bandwidth and data. Choose a hosting company that can grow with your website and provide you with extra space as your needs change.
- Is the service secure? Any quality web hosting provider will include at least basic security measures – such as firewall protection and spam and malware filters – as part of your plan. In addition, a WordPress hosting service should be able to offer a security package that is optimized for WordPress and automatically installs updates and patches.
- Do they offer great customer support? When it comes to your WordPress website, you need service representatives trained exclusively on WordPress software. That way, when you have any sort of problem or issue, they will be able to offer the appropriate solution in a timely fashion.
The best hosting for WordPress is fine-tuned to deliver superior performance and comes with all the features you need, including: pre-installation by a technical expert, auto-updates, free backups, WP-CLI integration and more – plus 24/7 access to our U.S. based support team!
A correction was made to this article indicating that InMotion Hosting no longer offers free backups. Instead, InMotion suggests that customers take advantage of the backup manager service available at a rate of $2/month. Keeping backups of your site is critical to site security.