More than 90% of consumers access video content on the web. Video consumption is progressing quickly and we believe video will soon surpass all other content categories. Still, you may wonder if it’s worth using video as part of your marketing strategy.
In one word: yes. If it’s not already a part of your toolbox, it’s time to add it. Here’s why:
It’s Great for SEO
Video can help improve your search engine ranking in a couple of ways:
- First, it increases your click-through rates: Including video on your page drives a 157 percent increase in organic traffic from SERPs.
- Next, it increases the amount of time people spend on your page: visitors spend over twice as long on a page with video than on one without.
The more people visit your page, and the longer they spend there, the more valuable Google thinks your content is. In fact, Moovly says you’re 53 times more likely to show up first on Google if you have a video embedded on your website.
To get the most value out of your content, take further steps to optimize it for SEO. Write interesting, accurate titles and descriptions and include backlinks to your products and services.
It’s Highly Shareable
Video isn’t just for YouTube, it should be shared across all networks. And it’s easy to do so.
When you create an original video, you can share excerpts on your blog, send out snippets in your newsletter, or create short clips to post to social media. As an added bonus, viewers will have the opportunity to click through to your site and view the full video.
Video Increases Conversions
Many people can tell you all about the importance of writing clear copy or crafting intriguing headlines, but they might not be able to tell you about the importance of video quite so easily.
This is surprising since the numbers clearly demonstrate its value. For instance, research shows that adding a product video to your landing page can increase conversions by 80%, and further, 74% of users who watch an explainer video about a product purchase it later.
The fact is, the digital landscape is changing – and as more people make the switch from desktops to mobile phones, the content they explore changes, too.
Which brings us to our next point.
The Way People Are Consuming Content Is Changing
Smartphones, tablets, and e-readers are quickly taking the place of traditional desktop and laptop computers. Today’s consumers spend up to 12 hours a day consuming media and only two hours of that time is spent on a computer.
What’s that mean for marketing? Well, video is much easier to view on a small screen than written text. Further, it’s much easier to ingest and given the short attention span of most internet users, that’s a good thing.
How Can You Add Video To Your Content
There are lots of fun, creative ways to incorporate video into your content. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Film demos and how-to videos: Why are how-to videos so popular? People love to see how products work – plus they’re short on time. It’s a winning combo when it comes to video. When a customer wants to know how to use your latest gizmo, they’d much rather watch you walk them through it than read a boring tutorial.
- Bring testimonials to life: We all know how important reviews and testimonials are – people already love them. But video just brings them to life. It adds a human touch and makes them more believable.
- Brand videos: the purpose of these is simple: introduce the audience to who you are and what you do. Share behind-the-scenes glimpses of your office, introduce employees, take “selfie” videos and chat about yourself.
- Vlog: Just like your weekly blog, only you’re talking about your topic in front of the camera rather than on paper. For the time-crunched, it’s a great way to learn more about your products and services without having to sit down and read – plus, it really helps the topics come to life.
A Word of Caution
One final note: creating your own videos can result in subpar content and a poor customer experience. This is definitely one area in which it pays to hire a professional. While it may seem like a hefty cost for your small business, the ROI more than makes up for it.
We’ve been helping clients build beautiful, engaging websites for years. If you’d like to talk to us about how to incorporate video on your WordPress website, reach out today. Our team stands by always ready to assist.