We’ve talked extensively in the past about how versatile WordPress is and how you can add numerous plugins and widgets that do some amazing things with your site.
One of the most popular tools that marketers have begun using on WordPress is Facebook Pixel. If you’ve ever searched for a product and then suddenly seen ads for that very same product pop up on your Facebook feed, that is because of the Pixel.
Some marketers have even gone so far as to describe it as the Google Analytics for Facebook. So, if you’re interested in using this amazing tool, here’s how to install it and set it up on your WordPress site.
Adding Facebook Pixel Manually
There are actually two different ways to add Pixel. The first is by manually adding the code to your WordPress website.
- Before you do anything else, log in to Facebook Ads Manager and select the Create a Pixel option. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that you can only do this once per account—so be sure you are ready before you take this step.
- Once you click on Create a Pixel, you will be asked to give it a name. Keep it simple—use your company’s name or something similar. Then click Create and you are good to go.
- Next, you will be given several options for customizing the app. We are going to use Manually Install the Code Yourself.
- Once you select this, you will see a page that shows you the tracking code for Facebook Pixel. You should copy this and then save it into some kind of text document (like a Word file). We would suggest saving a copy of this for later reference, just in case. But you will definitely need it for the next steps.
- Now, you will need to paste the tracking code into your WordPress website. To do this, you need the Insert Headers and Footers plugin. It’s free, so go ahead and install and activate it.
- Once you’ve added the plugin, head over to Settings and choose Insert Headers and Footers. There should be a box marked as Scripts in Header. Paste your tracking code into that box and then save.
- Now you have Facebook Pixel installed on your WordPress website. But you still need to go back to your Facebook Ads Manager control panel and select Tools. From this menu, choose Audiences so you can create a custom audience for your campaign.
- From the pop up that is not displayed, you need to define what audience you wish to reach. You can use a specific customer list, website traffic, or app activity.
- After you have defined this group, you will finally need to choose the duration for the campaign in days and save the audience using a name that you will remember; using something descriptive like the audience type and the dates for the campaign will work nicely.
Adding Facebook Pixel with a Plugin
If you don’t want to go through all of these steps, it’s also possible to automate many of these processes using a plugin.
We recommend Pixel Caffeine as it is easy to set up and allows you to do many of the tasks from your WordPress website control panel without having to switch back and forth with Facebook.
Once you have downloaded and installed this plugin, go to General Settings and choose the Facebook Connect option. Then be sure to allow Pixel Caffeine to “manage your business” and add in your Pixel account information. Once this is set up, you are ready to go.
Millions of people use Facebook every single day to connect with friends and family. By using Facebook Pixel on your WordPress website, you can specifically target these customers with tailored ad campaigns that will help increase your business.