Having a backup of your website online and on your computer makes your life so much easier. Even though backups are essential to the safety and security of your business website, many people seem to think they could cause an accident.
In reality, nothing could be further from the truth: automatic website backups don’t cause accidents; they prevent them.
Your website is threatened daily by online viruses, malicious hackers, unsuccessful updates or installations, and even power outages and failed servers. Routine backups are the ONLY thing that can keep your data safe.
Luckily, running routine backups don’t have to add any time or work to your day. There are dozens of WordPress plugins that will do the work for you, making the process seamless and easy.
Keep reading to find out what features you should look for in a backup plugin, and which one we think is the best choice:
What features should you look for in a backup plugin?
While many free products are poorly designed, you can easily find quality if you’re willing to look for it. Unfortunately, many business owners are already so overworked that they just don’t have the time. To save you the effort, we’ve compiled a list of all the features you should look for in a backup plugin.
Here are the essentials:
- Ease-of-use: Unless you work in the tech industry, it’s likely you don’t understand the inner workings of a website. It’s essential that your backup plugin be easy to install and use so you don’t have to rely on others for help.
- Automation: If you really want to save time and effort, look for a plugin that allows you to set automated backups. Then, you can set it, forget it, and know that your data is always going to be safe and secure.
- Custom schedule: The best plugins allow you to schedule backups on the days and times that work best for you, whether that’s 3 p.m. on a Tuesday or 3 a.m. on a Sunday.
- Back up to off-site storage: Saving to a remote location offers several benefits, including protection against local server crashes, data hacks, and accidental file deletion.
- Encryption: Data encryption ensures that hackers can’t access your private information during the transfer between your server and the offsite storage.
- Reliable backup recovery: In the event of a crash, you need to be able to recover and restore your data quickly and easily.
- Dependable customer support: Whether you need help setting up your automation or recovering your data after a crash, it’s important to be able to reach a customer service representative quickly and easily.
How do you know which backup plugin is best?
If you take a quick look in the WordPress Plugin Directory, you will see that there are countless options available. Many of them meet the criteria we set above. So, how do you know which one is best?
A lot of it comes down to personal preference, reputation, and customer reviews. The following options are always ranked highly, across the board:
UpdraftPlus allows you to create a complete backup of your WordPress site and store it in the cloud or download it to your computer. In addition, you can choose which files you’d like to save, rather than running a full backup.
BackWPup allows you to create a complete WordPress backup and store it in the cloud. It is known for being incredibly easy to use, offering a customizable backup schedule, and making restoration from backup super simple.
Duplicator not only backs up your data but duplicates your entire WordPress site. Other great features include easy migration from one site to another, duplication from a live site to a staging area, and the ability to ‘bundle up’ an entire WordPress site for reuse or distribution.
BoldGrid offers a slew of useful features, and it is our favorite free WordPress backup plugin for several reasons:
- Easy backups: Just log into your WordPress admin dashboard, click the “BoldGrid backup” option, and go!
- Preflight Check: Before every backup, BoldGrid runs a check on the backup server to make sure there aren’t any issues that might interfere with the process.
- Generous storage: Store up to 5 backup archives and 1GB of data at any one time.
Which Plugin is Right for You?
We’re team BoldGrid all the way, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make your own choice! Read the descriptions above, or even do a little research on your own, and choose the best fit for your business. If you have any questions about how BoldGrid can improve your website online backup, reach out today!