Securing Wordpress using a unique Administrative Username
A common username for the administrator in many applications is "admin" and WordPress is no different. For someone trying to compromise your WordPress site, they'll need to know both your username and password to gain access. As admin is commonly used as the administrator, we've already done half the work for hackers as now all they need to do is guess the password. If you have a user with the username "admin", it is a good idea to update this in an effort to make your wordpress site more secure.
Create a New Administrator
- Log into your WordPress dashboard and click "Users" in the left menu
- Click the "Add New" button on the top of the page
- Fill out the "Add New User" form and click "Add New User". Be sure to enter something other than "admin" in the "Username" field. The "Role" should also be changed to Administrator.
Remove the Existing "Admin" User
- Log into your wordpress dashboard as your new user and click "Users" in the left menu
- Place a check in the box to the left of your "admin" user
- In the "Bulk Actions" drop down, select Delete, then click "Apply"
Did you find this article helpful?
We value your feedback!
Why was this article not helpful? (Check all that apply)The article is too difficult or too technical to follow.
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
How did you find this article?
Please tell us how we can improve this article:
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!
Here are a few questions related to this article that our customers have asked:
Ooops! It looks like there are no questions about this page.
Would you like to ask a question about this page? If so, click the button below!
2013-07-03 12:05 pm
If I delete the "admin" account, will that also delete the articles attributed to "admin"?
2013-07-03 12:20 pm
Remember that you can't delete an admin user that you're using to access the account. However, you can always add a new administrator and delete the old one.
When you delete an administrator, you will be given a choice to delete the posts by the admin or attribute them (if there's more than one) to another user.
Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns!