How to migrate a blog from WordPress.com to InMotion Hosting
In this tutorial, we're going to show you how to migrate a site from WordPress.com, to a self hosting WordPress Installation here at InMotion Hosting.
Export your blog from WordPress.com
- Log into your WordPress.com dashboard
- Under "Tools", click "Export"
- Click "Export"
- To Export all of your data, click "Download Export File". This will prompt you to download a backup file. Be sure to note where you downloaded it to.
Import your data
- Log into your InMotion Hosting WordPress Dashboard
- Under "Tools", click "Import"
- Click "WordPress"
- You may be prompted to install the "WordPress Importer". This is normal, click "Install Now"
- After installing the importer, click the "Activate Plugin & Run Importer"
- You should see, "Choose a file from your computer:". Click "Browse" and find the file you downloaded from WordPress.com just a few moments ago. Then click "Upload file and import"
- On the "Assign Authors" page, you have the option of assigning content from your WordPress.com user to a specific author on your new blog. Under "Import Attachments", choose the option to "Download and import file attachments". Click "Submit".
<link>How to install a Wordpress theme using the built in theme search</link>
<link>How to install a Wordpress plugin using the built in plugin search</link>